This is the idea: the gap between the sound of the bullet passing by faster than the speed of sound – the crack, and the report from a rifle a fraction of a second later – the thump - will tell you the distance. If the crack and thump are close together the sniper is 300m away or less. If there is a slight delay, the sniper is from 300m to 600m away. If there is a noticeable delay, the sniper is out past 600m.

I decided the sniper had to be directly in front of us somewhere, because I’d be dead already if he was to our right flank. He was probably staring straight through a high-resolution scope, his crosshairs trained on Dawson’s body. If I moved my head up even an inch, he’d remove it for me, no questions asked. I needed a distraction that would divert the shooter’s attention - something that would buy me enough time to get back to the carrier.

“Cruze!” I shouted. “Get a frag grenade out, pull the pin and lob it across the road to your left.”

“Stand by, Dave!” she answered, her voice was strained.

I lowered my head and tried desperately to control my breathing. My heart was racing a mile a minute. If my plan didn’t work, I was as good as dead.

“Got it primed and ready, Dave!” Cruze called out.

“Do it!” I shouted.

I could hear Cruze’s boots crunching around in the snow to the left side of the carrier. There was silence for a second or two, and then a loud explosion thundered across the barren land. With a jolt of adrenaline, I immediately pushed myself up and dashed back to the safety of the carrier’s rear. A shot rang out and I heard the thump – there was a noticeable delay. The sniper was out past 600m.

Cruze threw her arms around me the moment I reappeared at the rear door. She gave me a quick bear hug, and then let me go as I slid down the back of the carrier into a squatting position. My heart was still pounding at the walls of my chest like a jackhammer, but least I was alive. I only wished I could say the same for Dawson. I exhaled heavily a few times to catch my breath and then Cruze helped me back to my feet.

“What do you want to do, Dave? – He’s still out there.”  Her voice was shaking.

“Fuck knows – the shooter could be anywhere.”

I could have sworn I saw Cruze’s face flush for a moment. It was rare for her to panic, but seeing Dawson get her head blown off, combined with the prospect of my getting killed, had rattled her nerves.

“Sorry, Dave,” she said, her voice still shaking. “Kate and I were … close.”

“I had no idea, Cruze. Listen … we can mourn later. Right now we have to take down that sniper because we’re sitting ducks.”

“I have an idea,” she said quickly. “We can do a combat run. We’ll go hatches down and leave Ark Two here. That sniper might have a spotter or they could be one of those security patrols that Dawn-Marie mentioned. If they’re mobile, they’ll high tail it back to their vehicle the moment they see us barreling toward them. And I’m coming with you because I’ll expose myself if I go back to Ark Two.”

“That sounds good to me,” I replied. “Let’s go.”

I gave Cruze a quick pat on the shoulder as she climbed into the carrier, taking a seat in the spot where, moments earlier, Kate Dawson had been standing. I climbed over Dawn-Marie and onto my seat and then slipped on my headset.

“Ark Two, this is Ark One … orders. Remain static and hatches down. Cruze is coming with me. All eyes on the ridge and report any movement. You will provide supporting fire on my command. Over.”