chapter six - lost

♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡

♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡

Veronica and Sage sat, once again, waiting in the airport for their plane. The entire morning that they were together, they did not even look at each other. The girls were still fuming from the night before, but Sage was starting to get annoyed by her best friend's lack of communication. She had sobbed while taking a shower and when she came out of the bathroom, Veronica was asleep, not having said goodnight like she always did. Ronnie was also sleeping in her own bed.

And now, Veronica was staring at the people walking around her, watching intently to see if they were suspicious or even recognized her. It had become a habit when she was in unknown places. People watching had also been a great way to avoid talking to Sage. However, her wish was broken by her friend firmly tucking a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear as she began to whisper to Ronnie.

"Veronica, you haven't said a word to me all morning. Look, I'm sorry I rejected you. I just didn't know you felt that way about me," Sage said. Veronica continued to watch the others around her.

"That's what you think I'm mad about?" Her
question sounded as though it were a black hole that sucked the joy out of everything around it. Sage raised her eyebrow in confusion.

"That's not what you're mad about?" She had been so sure considering that she had spent an hour sobbing about it, but that certainty was washed away by Veronica shaking her head.

"I'm so upset with you because of what you said to me. That you're not like... me," she said quietly. Sage's eyes watered slightly and she mentally chided herself for being emotional about this.

"Veronica, I didn't mean it like that," Sage said, trying to ease her mind. It obviously did not work— Veronica  just let out an acidic laugh.

"But you did. You looked at me like I was some kind of monster, Sage. I thought you were cool with it until you said that. Considering you led me on." Ronnie looked down at her shoes.

"I did not lead you on, Veronica. You just took things in the wrong context," Sage said, raising her voice. Veronica gaped at her friend.

"What kind of best friends sleep next to each other, cuddling like they've been together for years! You're always so affectionate with the hugging, the kissing of my cheeks, of my hands—"

"I never meant any of it like that! And besides, you're the one that led me on, lying to me and telling me that you loved me just to go kiss some random guy, someone of which, I still don't know the name of!" Veronica tolled her eyes.

"Why do you care so much? Huh? Why do you care that I kissed him if you don't love me anyways?" Sage stared at her, wanting something to come out of her mouth.

"Ronnie..."

"Don't 'Ronnie' me, Sage. I need some space. From us. That's why I didn't come back last night. I needed space. I can't be around someone else who can't even accept me for who I am. Which I thought you did, considering that you're my best friend," she said bitterly. The two sat in an awkward silence before Veronica spoke up.

"And his name is Finn." Sage peered at the girl next to her.

"The boy you were with?" Veronica nodded.

"Yeah. He's an actor." Sage's eyes widened as she realized who she was talking about.

"You mean?"

"Yeah."

"Oh my god. You kissed? Him? There's no way." She was freaking out but Ronnie did not care. She was preoccupied with her anger, as well as her intense grief of a boy lost.

"It was him. Trust me." What was terrible about the situation was that she liked both of them, even after the harsh words Veronica had shared with Sage. Her contemplation was interrupted when her phone began to buzz. Emilia. She gave the phone a suspicious look. Her sister had not called her in a month.

"Uh, hello?"

"Oh. My. God. You
answered! Go look at
Twitter right now."

The call for their flight home was heard over the intercom and Veronica shook her head.

"Emilia, my flight just
got called. I have to go."

"But Veronica, listen. You
need to go on. Right now."

"Oh my god, what? I'm
sorry the connection's
cutting out. Goodbye,
Emilia!"

Veronica hung up as they approached the desk and handed the lady their tickets (after double checking them, of course.) Sage looked at Veronica oddly as they walked onto the plane.

"What was that about?" Her inquiry was answered with Ronnie shaking her head.

"It was Emilia telling me to look at Twitter. It was probably something dumb," she said, waving it off. Soon, the two girls found their seats and survived the take-off into the air.

"So, we're headed back to New York. How do you feel?" Veronica did not understand why Sage insisted on talking to her. She rested her head on her palm and let out a sigh.

"Sad. Spain was great. I'm gonna sleep," she said bluntly. Sage nodded as Veronica looked down at the clouds dreamily.

Veronica watched as the cloud over Spain floated their way out of view and they were over the ocean. She would never see him again. How could she? He lived all the way in Vancouver. And he said it himself: he was always busy. It was best if she forgot about him.

That would have worked if Finn decided to let her go. Turns out, he did not.

♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡◇◇♡♡