Chapter 17: One Last Favor

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help but smile. "The whole way?"

"I'd follow you anywhere, Beatrice."

~...

And so, one train ride later, we had arrived in Stain'd By The Sea. It was nighttime when we got off the platform but I at least remembered my way around. I decided that they had to be home by now, it wasn't unreasonable but I hope they didn't try to call back and got worried. We first went to the lighthouse since it was the most logical place.

"Now don't worry about offending Lemony by you being here, ok Bertie? He wouldn't hurt you for any reason."

"I can believe that; you'd kick his ass..."

"You're damn right I would," I replied.

I knocked on the lighthouse door, but we got no response. Damn. They must not be home yet. There was only a porch light on so we could see.

"Now what," Bertie asked.

I was about to reply, but the sound of a car pulling up stopped me. We turned to see that Lemony and Moxie had come home right on schedule... and they appeared to have been somewhere important based on Lemony's nice tux and Moxie's lavish dress. (Though I questioned the fact the she was still wearing her news reporter hat with it.) They didn't notice us immediately upon getting out of the car so they were talking about something else.

"You think Pip got Ornette home ok? She was completely smashed for almost half the reception," Lemony asked.

"Ah, Pip's a careful driver, besides drunk passengers comes with the taxi driver job. And I won't complain about drunk Ornette Lost, she's my spirit animal, Snicket."

Lemony chuckled. "If you say so."

"Yeah I still can't believe Kellar and Ellington are married now."

Lemony shrugged. "She's not that bad."

I saw Moxie give him a look and he quickly added, "Ugly though. Very ugly."

Moxie nodded in approval and reached into the car to get something, but I couldn't see it clearly. "Here's hoping they never have kids cause I ain't babysitting."

"They don't seem the type, you've got nothing to worry about. But they could change their minds."

Then I saw Lemony notice us as she was distracted. He quickly walked over to us.

"Bea, what- when-"

Moxie looked up at us with something in her arms and shut the car door before hurrying over. "When did you get here?"

"I'm sorry, we tried to call but you weren't home so we decided to come ask you in person," I said. "Lemony, Moxie, this is Bertrand Baudelaire, my boyfriend, and I need a final favor from you Lemony... It's about the upcoming masquerade ball."

Lemony nodded and quickly opened the door to get us out of sight. We were brought into the kitchen to talk. It took me a moment to notice that the thing Moxie had been carrying was a lovely red rose bouquet, I had already seen that they had been talking about attending a wedding but wow. It made me feel happy for them. Moxie seemed to notice this and quickly set the flowers aside on a counter; I swear I saw her blushing.

"Alright, what's going on," Lemony asked

"Is it safe to talk in front of her," Bertrand asked, glancing at Moxie.

"Whatever you have to say to me, you can say in front of Moxie. We'll keep it off the record, right?"

Moxie sighed, "Only because I'm in a good mood tonight..."

I quickly explained what had been uncovered about Ernest and my worries about Olaf planning something for the ball.

"I have other precautions but I need outside help again," I pleaded.

"Ernest turned on his brothers?"

"He turned on all of us. The Duchess looked crushed to see another betrayal of our code," I replied.

Lemony looked thoughtful for a moment, "I have one plan. However, I also have one catch."

"What is it?"

"I promised Moxie she could come with me, if I was needed again."

Moxie smirked. "And his prime associate doesn't get left out. Win-win."

I looked at Bertrand and could tell that every instinct in his brain wanted to say "no." For all intents and purposes, Moxie was a civilian. Bringing a civilian into volunteer business is never a good idea; not to mention against multiple rules. But we had little choice. She wanted to help, and Lemony could probably vouch for her skills. And she didn't look like she was gonna take no for an answer this time. Last time I was here Lemony had to convince her to stay, I don't think he's capable of doing it a second time.

"Well what's your answer," Lemony asked.

I sighed, "Fine, but you have to stay discreet or you could get him and yourself in serious trouble."

"I'm a journalist, I can do discreet."

"I'll take your word on that. Now what's your plan Lemony?"

~End of Chapter!