24: Fire with Fire

Start from the beginning

Eventually, both Suki and I ran out of ammunition. The fight became close quarters as we both picked up a sword. The metallic sound rang out in the air like music. My muscles ached, but they sang from joy at finally being used properly once again.

I made the first strike. Suki sidestepped. I tried once more, but she blocked with her blade. I fell to my knees, trying to sweep her feet out from under her. She jumped over my leg, ready to stop my next attack when I stood. Before I could land another blow, I felt a swift kick to my torso, pushing me back.

I stumbled away, only barely catching myself from falling.

"Come on, Kida," Suki taunted. "You might not be better than me, but you're at least close," she mocked with a provoking smirk.

I couldn't stop myself from smirking back.

Without another word, I rushed forward. Suki met my blade with the clash of hers. It became a sudden bombardment of slashes and blocks. Neither of us was getting the upper hand. We were equals.

It wasn't until she tried to go for my leg that I saw an advantage. With one stiff knee to the back of her palm, I knocked the blade from her grasp, sending it into the dust.

(0:00-0:29)

Suki forfeited instantly, letting herself fall to her knees as laughter drifted out of her mouth. I lifted my sword with both hands, keeping the point only a few inches from her face. She brought her hands up in surrender, still smiling as I did the same.

"Okay, okay, you're better," she gave in.

I grinned completely, finally dropping my sword to my side. "That's all I wanted to hear."

I reached out to offer my hand. I thought she was reaching up to accept it. Then my world flipped, and I was on my back.

She had jumped up to swipe my feet out from under me, taking my sword from my hand as I fell.

Before I could completely comprehend what had happened, I had my own sword's point in my face with a snide expression from its new owner hovering above it.

"Alright, alright, you're a badass warrior, we get it," I sighed.

She chuckled, offering a hand as I had. Sadly, I didn't have a counter that she wouldn't expect; so, I accepted and got to my feet beside her.

"I see why you two broke up. She's too awesome for you, Sparky," Toph teased, slumping onto the steps beside Sokka.

Everyone else went wide-eyed. For half a second, tense silence filled the air. I was the one to break it, not able to hold in my laughter for a second longer. Zuko scoffed and rolled his eyes, visibly resisting the urge to smile as well. "I know," he sighed.