I shook my head and sighed again. I made a clear decision that night and I was determined to give up everything just to keep the promise that I made. Gumising ako nang maaga para maabutan ang boss ko sa opisina. Madalas siyang umaalis kapag 8 AM para bumili ng breakfast o kaya dumiretso sa korte. 

"Attorney Martinez! You're early." My boss smiled at me when I entered her office. 

I did not talk. I just walked towards her desk and placed the folder on top of it. Tinignan niya 'yon saglit at binuksan bago binalik ang tingin sa 'kin, nagtataka. 

"I can't take this case," I said bravely. 

"Why? What's wrong with it?" Her brows furrowed and tried to read the file. "You can win this! Kaya nga sa 'yo ko binibigay. I trust you, Attorney. You are one the greatest starting lawyers we have in the firm. Kailan ka pa tumanggi sa kaso?" 

"Now," I said seriously.

"Attorney Martinez, alam kong magaling ka at matunog na ang pangalan mo, pero baguhan ka pa rin sa firm. If you're not competent enough, then resign. If you are, prove it to me by taking this ca-"

She stopped talking when I placed my resignation letter on the desk. I already expected this to happen. Umawang ang labi niya sa gulat at tinignan ako. 

I bowed a little to show my respect before walking out her office, assuming that her silence was already a yes to my resignation. Dire-diretso lang ako papunta sa desk ko para ligpitin ang gamit ko, atat nang makaalis dito. Nakasalubong ko pa si Adonis na may dalang kape at sandwich. Nagmamadaling maglakad papunta sa 'kin si Amethyst na kanina pa narito nang makita ang ginagawa ko. 

"What the hell are you doing?!" She tried to keep her voice down. 

"I am leaving this shithole," seryosong sabi ko.

Napapatingin sa amin 'yung ibang kasamahan sa firm. I couldn't read their faces. I guess some were happy that I was already leaving and some were confused. I didn't care. They can stay in this hell. No one can save them. Not even their hunger for power. Majority of them already forgot their morals. I didn't want to be one of them.

"You're leaving?! Then, I'm leaving, too!" Amy walked back towards her table. 

"Anong aalis? Anong mayroon?" Naguguluhang sabi ni Adonis. 

"I resigned," maikling sabi ko at pinagpatuloy ang pagliligpit sa gamit ko.

"Huh?! Re-assigned?! Saan?! Sama ako!" His sandwich almost fell from his hand. 

"Resign," mariing ulit ko. "I don't want to take that case," I said and carried my things. 

"Anong case? Hoy! Sama pa rin ako! Wait lang!" I ignored his loud voice and just walked straight towards the elevator. 

That was certainly not part of the plan. Hindi ko inasahang sasamahan nila ako kahit saan ako magpunta. I mean, I already hinted about building my own firm but I was still not that sure if it would work. After resigning, I could say that I was... unemployed.