The Empress of Onigashima

Start from the beginning

Kintaro smiled. "Indeed it would. How about we clean up this mess and talk somewhere cleaner?"

Kintaro reached into the folds of his robe and threw down a small vial, smashing it at his feet..

A massive cloud of strange mist spiraled upwards, and before long the blood had cleared.. and all the webs had been dissolved.

"This only works after a Jorogumo's left... and magic is no longer keeping the webs invincible.." said Kintaro. "Come.. let's go back to the RV.."

"Yeah.. you definitely have some explaining to do.. both of you.." Ben muttered, folding his arms. 

After everyone managed to get inside the Rust Bucket, and Mikoto started putting a bit of Salve on Ben's wounds from fighting the Asura, Hoshimi took a deep breath.

"We are.. not of the realm of humans.. " Hoshimi murmured.. we.. er.."

"Hoshimi is known as Hoshimi Kintoki No Kami in her realm.. she is the lord of Demons, the goddess of Onigashima." said Kintaro. "While she is human, she also possesses the divine blood passed down by Sakata Kintoki, the legendary warrior of Japan's history said to be born by a thunderclap made from a dragon.. "

"So wait that nonsense she spouted to me was real?"

"It wasn't nonsense.. the yokai here tonight were after her.. " said Kintaro. "They wished to kill her because.. well.."

"Because an usurper has taken my throne.. " Hoshimi murmured. "It happened 2 years ago.. a Fox Deity from my court who had gained a number of followers among my military factions decided to kill me and take the throne.. many supported her because they hated the policy of continuing to remain in the shadows as humans lessened their belief in us.. and diminished the Faith that is required for kami and yokai to retain their power.."

"However, many among the yokai still support Hoshimi.. a grand majority in fact. In spite of the fact that it's been a human on the throne of Onigashima for years.. she and her family have long earned the respect of every demon and spirit for miles around." said Kintaro. "As such.. the story is that Hoshimi died due to poor health.. the Usurper wishes to end Hoshimi's life before the story gets out that she's alive.. "

"And so she sent assassins after you.." muttered Ben. "Makes sense.

"Wait.. so let me get this straight.. Yokai are real?" asked Kuroko. 

"Yes.. they used to terrorize humans all over Japan for quite a while.. until one day a brave human who was of Kintoki's lineage, along with his mentor Minamoto No Raikou, drove the demons to Onigashima, and then organized peace between them by setting over them a human ruler who had longevity and power to be respected by the demons.." said Kintaro.  "In any case.. the Fox Deity, whose name I have cursed so I refuse to speak... plans on overturning that. She wishes for Yokai not only to once more dominate Japan with ruthless darkness and cruelty.. she wishes to spread Yokai beyond the native lands and take over the world.. "

Ben sat up. Mikoto's eyes flashed for a moment as she spoke. "Are they capable of that.. can they fight against our world and win?"

"I don't know.." said Kintaro. "I am not knowledgeable of your world's weapons."

"Regardless of whether they are actually capable or not.. they're bound to kill people in the attempt." Ben said quickly.  "And we can't allow that to happen.. what do you two plan on doing?"

Kintaro sighed. "In all honesty, I had intended to leave humanity to it's fate.. my loyalty is to Hoshimi and keeping her safe at all costs.. aside from her, humans never really held much interest for me.. or empathy.."