Ch. 3: Original Sin

Depuis le début

"Ignore her," Damon told her. "As soon as the vervain's out of her system, we'll compel her and we'll put her on mute." 

"Or maybe Stefan's been trying to reach out to you all summer, but you've been too distracted with Damon to help him so he reached out to the person that he trusts," Katherine told her. "Me." Elena looked up at Damon and me with a long-suffering look. "Nah. You're probably right. Elena and I had the exact same dream on the exact same night. Why would that mean something?" 

Damon looked troubled. 

I drove faster in annoyance.

*****

We got to the bar that they had dreamt about.

I pulled my car into the parking lot, Damon, Elena and I getting out of the car quietly.

Katherine was asleep.

"Are we really just gonna leave her in the car?" Elena asked

"The only time she shuts up is when she's sleeping, and I didn't want to disturb our peace and quiet," I told her.

Elena stopped walking toward the entrance. 

Damon and I turned back.

"I thought you said this was the one," Damon told her. 

"It is," Elena told us. "It looks exactly like it did in the dream. Isn't that a little freaky?" 

"Yeah," I answered. "It's a lot of freaky. Let's go see if Stefan's inside." 

We walked inside to see a girl with short blonde hair, a bandage over her neck, working behind the bar. "Can I get you something?" 

I looked at her name tag, noticing it was Jo. "Yeah, sure." I compelled her. "Why don't you tell me what happened to your neck, Jo?" 

"Some sicko attacked me, bit me, told me to run, so I did, and when I looked back, he was on fire," Jo answered. 

"The sun must have come up," Elena told us. "He doesn't have his daylight ring."

"And then what happened?" I asked.

"Some woman shoved him into a truck, drove away," Jo answered. 

"Did you know this woman?" I asked.

"No," Jo answered. "She was driving Cam Peterson's truck. He lives about 10 miles down that dirt road out back. Here. Look like you could use one of these."

Jo poured me a shot.

"Hmm, I could," I told her. "Thank you." I took the shot, swallowing. Vervain started to scorch my mouth and throat, sizzling, making me gag and cough, my voice hoarse. "Vervain."

Damon looked at Jo. "What did you do?" 

A woman walked in from the back room, raising a gun pointed at us, her voice accented. "I told her to pour her a drink or I'd kill her." 

"Who the hell are you?" Damon asked. 

Katherine walked into the bar, not realizing what was going on until it was too late.

The accented woman saw her. "Which one of you is Katherine Pierce?" 

Katherine pointed at Elena. "She is." 

"Katherine is a compulsive liar . . ." the woman trailed off. "But I need her alive." 

I started to rush toward the woman.