Chapter Two: The Clover

"Four?" I asked.

            "Four." His eyes widened again as a smile crept along his face.

            The door swung open and an older gentlemen wearing a long coat casually strolled into the room. His hair was grayed, messy, and long. His face was clean shaven, and wrinkled. He glanced at Four. With that one look, Four shot up and walked out of the room without a moment's notice. The man then, grabbed a chair from the far right corner of the room and sat down next to the bed. 

            He pushed up his glasses with his pinky finger.

            "Four. He's a strange one. Don't mind him." I nodded. He looked at me with soft brown eyes. "I'm Dr. Reid, but the boys and girls here call me Father. I'm no man of religion though. We, myself and a couple of other children, found you just a little off the trails. You were hurt badly, as you can see for yourself. We carried you back here. Now, you're probably wondering where you are. Young lady, have you ever heard of The Clover?" his eyes sparkled.

            "No. What is it?" his eyebrows furrowed.

            "It's home. Home for people who are lost. People who can't be found. People who don't want to be found. People who don't have anyone looking for them. People who have people looking for them. The Clover, my dear, is a safe haven for lost boys." he voice was filled with excitement. "Girls too, of course, I like to believe 'lost boys' sounds a lot more mysterious." he winked. "We care for these children, we teach them about the nuances of society and help them reintegrate back in when they're ready. We help them create a future for themselves." he said. "Now dear, I must ask you questions, it really is just a formality, I could really careless about your details." He got up.

            "I-I.." I tried to say.

            "It's okay, you don't have to say anything now. Just sit on it for a couple days. Come visit me in my office down the hall when you're all good and well. If you need anything, just ask Four. He's taken a liking to you, it doesn't happen often. Try to treat him with extra care, he is a special case, you know." his eyes traced the walls.  "He'll definitely visit again." he chuckled to himself.

            His coat fluttered as he skipped out of the room and shut the door behind him.

            I looked up at the ceiling.

            Details, huh? I snickered. This has got to be some sort of sick joke.

            Before I knew it I fell fast asleep.

                                                              ***

            "Who the hell is she, Reid?" the woman standing before me was a tough one.

            "It's okay. She seems harmless. She won't do anything to the children. She's barely an adult herself." the woman's face contorted into an ugly rage.

            "She appears out of nowhere, bloody and bruised. She was stabbed for god's sake. And, don't even get me started on what we found in her belongings. She is no normal girl. You can't just bring her here without knowing anything about her. You know what kind of times we live in. Damn it, Reid. " she paced back and forth. "If anything, anything at all, happens to those children because of her. I will not forgive you." her eyes were filled with fire - she is a mother after all.

            "For heaven's sake, Gert, she's just a child." his voice was soft. "Don't deny it Gert. We have taken people we knew nothing about in the past. It's not like we're forcing her to join. She can leave if she wants, we can tell her not to come back ever again if she does." I got up and walked around the desk towards Gert. "But we must give her a chance first. At least until she's healed. Please." he squeezed her shoulders.

            Her face softened.

            "Alright." I sighed a sigh of relief. "But." I paused. "You are not allowed to tell her anything, under any circumstances about what we really do here. Not until she's built up enough trust. Not until I give my approval of her."

            "Four's taken a liking to her." her ears perked up.

            "Really, now?"

            "Yes, really. Really, really, yes. Yes. Yes, yes." I smiled.

            "You're not the slightest funny." she was  not amused.

            "You break my heart every time you say that." I frowned.

            "Oh what heart, honey, are you referring to? The ones you steal from your victims? Please, humour me." A smile crept along her face. " I for one, will not fall for your empty compliments or honey soaked lies. You really are a twisted piece of shit." she turned around and walked out of the room as I glanced out the window, watching the leaves dance to the cool night air. 

            "Honey soaked lies? That's new."