|| VIII: Seeking the Truth ||

Start from the beginning

"That's quite sharp of you," the cat compliments before adding, "For being an idiot."

"It will be troublesome," Mikono said.

"Relax," it smiled up at her. "The Kamoshida in reality can't possibly know about what happens here. A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed-a side of one's personality they don't want to see."

"So we're okay?" Ryuji deduces.

"Did the Kamoshida in reality remember about the execution or Lady Mikono's imprisonment?" Morgana crossed its arms, responding with its own question. When the students didn't respond to deny it, the feline nodded. "There you have it."

"All right!" The delinquent cheered. "Now that we know that, all we gotta do is-"

"Wait," Morgana interrupted him. "I guided you as promised. It's your turn to cooperate with me. That's why I was super nice about teaching you idiots everything."

Mikono frowned and placed a hand over her aching heart. "Ouch, Morgana... That hurt..."

The cat's ears twitched before smiling lovingly up at her. "I didn't mean you, Lady Mikono! I originally came here for an investigation. I need to erase the distortion from my body and regain my real form! That's why we must delve deeper into Mementos and-"

"Whoa, hold up," Ryuji promptly intervenes. "What're you goin' on about? We never said anything about helpin' you out."

"Huh?" A petrified expression appeared on Morgana's face. "Don't tell me... Are you not going to repay the hospitality I showed you? Especially you!" He jabbed a paw at Akira. "You're going to up and leave, even though you're already part of my master plan?!"

Akira shoved his hands into his pockets, meeting the cat's azure gaze with his obsidian one. "I never promised."

"See? I wasn't lyin'," Ryuji rebuttal.

"Is it because I'm not human?" Morgana questioned with a fierce glare. "Because I'm like a cat? Is that why you're making a fool of me?!"

"Calm down, Morgana," Mikono chimed in. "We appreciate your kindness, but..."

"We're busy!" Ryuji finished the girl's sentence. He kneeled down beside the feline and patted the top of its head. "Thanks for everything, cat. You've got guts, bein' a cat and all! See you around!"

Before Mikono could express her own gratitude, Akira grabbed her hand and pulled her along as he and Ryuji dashed away from the entrance of the castle to the nearby alleyway across the street. She heard Morgana curse as it yelled at them before she felt a familiar tug on her body and realized they were back in the real world. She then heard a familiar computerized voice from Akira's phone.

"You have returned to the real world. Welcome back."

"Thank god, we're back," Ryuji huffed out between pants. Once catching his breath, he looked between Akira and Mikono. "I dragged you guys around a lot, huh? Sorry..."

"It's all right, Ryuji. We're friends, aren't we?" Mikono beamed gently at him before looking down at Akira's hand, which was still encasing her own. "Um, Kurusu-kun? You can let go of my hand now."