Chapter 13: Sam's POV

Começar do início

Turning my headlights off, I pull the truck between a row of trees, hiding it from the view of everyone. With how dark it is out there, no one should be able to see it from the road or the cabin.

Checking my gun, I return the clip and tuck it into the back of my pants. I open the door and place my lock cracking tools into the side pocket of my leather jacket, I secure the hairpins in my hair before I trek through the woods towards the cabin. I move as quietly as possible while marking some of the trees with my knife. I'm hoping I won't need to use them as a guide back to the truck, but if I have to run in this darkness, these markings will be my only saving grace.

Taking a deep breath, I stand frozen at the door, unsure of myself. I know what I need to do, but I don't know if I can do it. I don't feel like myself; I haven't in a long time. I can feel the battle raging inside me. The image that makes me doubt myself. The battle that is telling me I can't do this.

Shaking my hands, and feeling the sweat build between my breast, I hesitate. I have never felt so much uncertainty in my life. Placing my fist to the door, I go to knock. I have to knock, my kids are on the other side but I can't. I can't make my hand tap the door. Stepping back and rechecking the address on the house, I know I'm at the right place yet I can't knock on the door.

Feeling a rush of adrenaline, my legs guide me around the house and to the windows. My mind and body are working for me. They are doing what I can't do. They are fighting for us.

Slowly moving around the house, I feel like I'm dreaming. My legs are moving, but my mind is still reliving that earlier moment, stuck to that fear, to his voice.

I hear nothing coming from the house, the windows are painted black, newspapers line them, and no light peeks through. I continue to move along the perimeter of the house until I reach the backside of the house and see the light coming from one of the windows. The light hitting the darkness of the woods, knocks me out of my fog, and quicken my step.

Reaching the window, I see Danny playing on the floor. He's in the front area of the house racing cars up and down Scout's arm as she throws her head back in laughter. I love seeing them like this. Happy, secure and loved. Seeing them causes my motherly instincts to kick in. Every ounce of doubt I had about myself leaves my body and is replaced with a fierce fire pushing me to protect them.

Lightly tapping on the window, I try to get Danny's attention, but his eyes are glued to Scout. Everything inside me wants to jump through the window and grab my baby boy.

Closing my eyes, taking a deep breath, I tap on the window a little harder. "Danny' I whisper.

Nothing!

I tap a little harder, getting Danny's attention this time. Popping up from his seated position, he stops himself from running to the window. Standing in the middle of the room, Danny stares at me.

"Danny!" Waving my hand to direct him to come closer, Danny shakes his head no and points at me.

Turning around to see what he is pointing at, I feel someone grab me, and everything goes black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bolting up in a panic, I awake in a dark room, alone. "Ouch!" I grab my head to calm its pounding and help my eyes to focus when I hear Danny singing the theme song to Cars. Forgetting about my splitting headache, I jump up and head towards the door. "Danny!"

Reaching for the doorknob, something yanks me back; hurling me onto the bed. Disorientated, I raise myself and lean against the bed. I don't recognize my surroundings. The room smells of oak, and fresh paint and the carpet feels soft and brand new. I know I've never been here before. Taking a moment to settle myself and take things in I wonder what time it is and if we're still at the cabin.