He stepped away to speak to another guest. Reaming near the edge of the room, I studied the guests. Miss Forester put on a convincing cheerful face for everyone gathered. Watching her, if I hadn't had her question me particularly, I never would have suspected she was out of countenance.

In front of the fireplace, Mrs. Forester was in close conversation with the colonel as Forester had said. Miss Forester was speaking to a well-dressed young woman I did not recognize. There was a sour-faced older woman glaring at the pair as though she disapproved of them.

Since neither Miss Forester or her brother had offered to introduce me to the others, I stepped closer to the ladies. "Good evening," I said with a smile.

"Oh, Mr. Bywood, please forgive my distraction," Miss Forester said immediately. "What a poor hostess I am. Lady Leith, this is Mr. Lucas Bywood who is also a visitor to Bath. Mr. Bywood, this is Lady Celia Leith."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," I said, nodding.

"Likewise," Lady Leith said with a kind smile. She glanced over her shoulder. "I would present you to my mother-in-law, the dowager, but I don't think she is in the mood for any introduction at the moment."

"Mr. Bywood," Mrs. Forester called out, getting my attention. She also drew the attention of everyone else in the room. "Do come here. It will be a few more minutes before we go in to dinner. Our last guest has not yet arrived."

Wishing someone had offered me a drink, I crossed the room. Once I was in front of my hostess, I made a bow. "Thank you for the invitation this evening, ma'am," I said as I straightened. "I am honored."

"The colonel was just telling me you intend on improving your new estate," Mrs. Forester said bluntly. "Is this true?"

Why did she care? "I am flattered by your interest, ma'am," I said, choosing my words carefully. "Pearsend has been a unique challenge presented to me. I believe I can do some good now that I own it."

"The colonel says it is known as a ruin and that only a fool would think it could be salvaged. Especially by a green boy who hasn't the first idea of what to do."

He had said that, had he? I glanced at the older man who looked guilty. He used his cane to lever himself out of the chair. "I shall see if I cannot get a smile out of the dowager," he said. "She looks as though she might bite them any second now."

"I would say ruin is an exaggeration, ma'am," I said as the colonel limped away. "As to being green, I freely admit to being such. Which is why I have sought the advice of those who have been in my shoes. The colonel offered me excellent advice."

Mrs. Forester eyed me with a narrowed expression. "I admire your determination, Mr. Bywood," she said, much to my surprise. "It isn't many who would do the honorable thing and not try to hand it off on someone unsuspecting. Sit down so that you don't give an old woman a stiff neck."

Astonished, I obliged her. "My apologies. I did not want to presume-"

She waved a hand, cutting me off. "I suppose you're still keeping company with that Ward person."

"Of course," I said as another guest was shown into the room. "He has been a loyal friend and I am here because he invited me to accompany him."

It was Mr. Appleton.

"I foresee a most entertaining meal," Mrs. Forester said as she stood up. "Mr. Appleton, thank you for joining us. I do hope you can set all of our minds at ease tonight. Do be my escort into the meal."

The rest of us were left to sort out for ourselves. I was left with Miss Forester on one arm and the sour-faced woman on the other. Were the numbers uneven on purpose, or had Mrs. Forester done so on purpose? I would not put it past her to do what she wanted for whatever aim she had in mind.