Chapter 14: Invisible Nancy

Start from the beginning

“We’re here.” Devin said in relief. There was no time to acknowledge how beautiful the inn was, complete with fountains and a lot of ornaments. It was so stunning that it looked like it came out of a Hollywood film.

Devin and Bryce went to the main office to acquire some room while Enzo and I were left in the car watching over Nancy. We didn’t dare speak to one another, nor look at each other. I looked away, staring at my window admiring the beauty of the building while Enzo cater to Nancy’s need. Clearly she was still thinking that she was captive. She keeps on saying, let me go or I just want to go home, her voice was soft and small, you could barely hear her. I do pity her right now rather that envy her.

Devin and Bryce came back with our key. Good thing it was on the first floor, we wouldn’t need to worry the stairs part. We only unload a couple of stuff like a few clothes and some personal stuff since we do not want to stay here for more than a day. We might just stay here for as long as Nancy is feeling a little better to move to the next inn or motel will be at. We need to be on the move constantly to avoid danger.

We lay Nancy in the bed. She was scourging with fever, she was heating up than anyone else I’ve met with a fever. Maybe the hospital wasn’t a bad idea given her state right now. I sent Devin and Bryce to get some medicine, which might turned out as not so great idea since I will be left with Enzo alone with a sleeping girl with a fever.

Both Devin and Bryce left taking the car with them. I couldn’t stay here, I was socially awkward right now, “She needs to eat first, see if you can wake her up without scaring her. I’ll go make up some noodles.” I said, and then left them both alone; I went to the stove and boiled up some water, we have instant noodles so cooking won’t be a problem. I stared at the water as it slowly form bubbles on the bottom of the pan. I dipped the tip of my index finger just to see if I can still feel pain, it wasn’t hot enough, but it managed to turn my finger red. I still can feel pain. I let it regenerate and watched as the water started to boil.

I heard screaming, and quickly turned around. Enzo managed to wake Nancy up, but he didn’t manage not to scare her. Enzo was trying his best to calm her down. But after spending days in prison and a lot of torture, it might be hard for her to regain some trust. Enzo ordered me to get out of the room. I guess maybe Nancy will be easier if she was only with him. I turned the stove off and quickly went outside.

The screaming did not bother anybody. Nobody went outside to check out what was happening. I don’t know if it was a good thing or a bad thing; it’s a good thing because we won’t need to have physical contact with anybody and avoid conversations regarding what’s happening with a girl in pure white screaming in a middle of a perfect day. It was a bad thing since I can guess that security wasn’t their top priority.

Nancy’s screaming lessened; I guess Enzo managed to calm her down. I waited outside the door patiently, I’m too afraid to open the door since it might add up to Nancy’s trauma state. I waited outside, waited for Nancy to stop screaming and waited for Devin and Bryce to come back.

It took Enzo around 20 minutes to calm Nancy down. He said it was safe for me to go inside now, but as soon as I was inside, Nancy gripped her hands in my appearance. I guess she was still scared of me. Enzo explained that I was a friend and not a foe, she calmed down but she locked her eyes in me. I started boiling the water once again and made some noodles. I asked Enzo to feed her, since it will be better that way.

I went outside to give them some reunion time. I don’t have my phone so I had nothing to play with, I just sat there levitating a rock and keeping a lookout.

Devin and Bryce came back a few more minutes later, they explained that the pharmacy was farther than they expected, they have some ibuprofen and some other stuff. I told them to wait while I warn Enzo about their return.