prologue

"YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN."

"No I'm not."

The grey-eyed girl shook her head as Ellie tore her eyes away from the blonde boy sitting on the other side of the lunch courts. "Honestly, Elle. I don't understand why you obsess over him," she sighed. "You're wasting time, you know,"

"I am not!" Ellie defended, sneaking a quick glance him before averting her attention to her friend.

"You've never even talked to him before," she pointed out, popping a chip into her mouth.

Ellie reddened and she flung a piece of lettuce at her friend. "I did that one time."

"Asking him for the time does not count."

Ellie rolled her eyes. "Shut up, Mag," she mumbled, glaring at her friend.

"But it's true," Magnolia defended. "Literally, every single day, I hear 'Luke this' and 'Luke that' over and over and over again."

"Seriously, shut up," Ellie groaned, now full fledged embarrassed as she look down in at her lap.

Ellie's only friend was really, Magnolia Greene, much to everyone's confusion. Guess you could say that opposites really to attract, because Ellie and Magnolia were both on the far ends of the meter. Yet Ellie seemed to be the only one who could keep Magnolia's rowdy persona tamed and Magnolia knew how to get Ellie to say more than a few words.

"I'm telling you," Magnolia said, "It's not going to work out."

"Why do you have to go and crush people's hopes and dreams?" Ellie groaned, slouching in her chair. Her shoulders slumped as she pushed the remainder of her lunch into the nearby trashcan.

"It's called being a good friend, honey." Magnolia smirked as she dusted her hands off and also threw her lunch out.

Magnolia kept talking, but Ellie definitely wasn't listening. She just couldn't help it when her eyes wandered towards Luke's table like a lost puppy.

She sighed.

Ellie Hannigan was completely, head-over-heels in love with Luke Hemmings.

What she didn't know was that the boy sitting next to Luke might have been completely, head-over-heels in love with her.