September arrived, and Tessa was sitting on the edge of the counter with her feet dangling off while she studied one of the hand-drawn maps when Harry entered the kitchen.

"I've got news, and you won't like it," Harry said, glancing from Hermione and Ron sitting on the dining table and pausing at Tessa. "We have perfectly good chairs, why do you like sitting there?"

"I like sitting on places you're not supposed to sit on," Tessa reasoned defensively.

Ron snickered. "Bet Malfoy loves it when you sit on his — oof!" He winced in pain when Hermione jabbed her elbow on his ribs.

Before Hermione could make a remark at that, Kreacher had come running toward Harry in his clean tea towel. "Shoes off, if you please, Master Harry, and hands washed before dinner." He took the Invisibility Cloak off of Harry's shoulder and hung it on the coat rack.

"What's happened?" Ron asked as Harry walked over and tossed a newspaper onto the table.

Tessa hopped off the counter and hurried over to peer over Hermione's shoulder to see a photo of a greasy haired monkey on the headlines.

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"Oh, shit," she blurted out.

"No!" Ron and Hermione shouted in protest.

Hermione snatched the newspaper and read aloud, " 'Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

"'I welcome the opportunity to uphold our finest Wizarding traditions and values —' Like committing murder and cutting off people's ears, I suppose! Snape, headmaster! Snape in Dumbledore's study — Merlin's pants!" Hermione suddenly shrieked, jumping away from the table and pushing past them to run out. "I'll be back in a minute!"

"Ouch," Tessa mumbled, rubbing on her nose that Hermione had smacked on her rush to get out.

"'Merlin's pants'?" Ron repeated only amusement. "She must be upset." He looked over at the newspaper again. "The other teachers won't stand for this. McGonagall and Flitwick and Sprout all know the truth, they know how Dumbledore died. They won't accept Snape as headmaster. And who are these Carrows?"

"Death Eaters," she said and shuddered. "Horrible brother and sister."

"There are pictures of them inside," Harry said with a nod at the newspapers. "They were at the top of the tower when Snape killed Dumbledore, so it's all friends together. And I can't see that the other teachers have got any choice but to stay. If the Ministry and Voldemort are behind Snape it'll be a choice between staying and teaching, or a nice few years in Azkaban — and that's if they're lucky. I reckon they'll stay to try and protect the students."

Kreacher came over with some soup in his hands, setting it on the table as he ladled some into bowls.

"Thanks, Kreacher," Tessa said happily over Harry's shoulder.

"Well, at least we know exactly where Snape is now." Harry spooned soup into his mouth. "There are still a load of Death Eaters watching the house — more than usual. It's like they're hoping we'll march out carrying our school trunks and head off for the Hogwarts Express."