Back To A Family

Chapter 12 - Back To A Family

"You guys didn't have to do all this" Rachel spoke out, though she hasn't managed to supress her delighted smile as she fiddled with the stripy, patterned wrapping paper of the nearest gift in front of her. Phoebe hugged Rachel from the side glancing around the group, the smile she had plastered on her face, reflected back to her 4 times over.

Chandler slipped his arm wrong Monica's waist, her back against his chest, gently pressing a kiss to Peytons forehead, who had crashed from the days excitement minutes before the party started. Apparently reaching the point where you cross the threshold of being 5 months old really tires you out.

"Happy Birthday Rach" Monica grinned at her best friend, "Okay come on let's get the party started!"

Turning from their little huddle around the gift table, the group watched friends and family dance, clink drinks and greet each other happily after months of no or very little contact. Monica and Chandler had yet to tell anyone else apart from their small friend group about their relationship, especially the parents, who coincidentally happen to waltz through the door, bearing gifts and warm smiles.

Monica's body tensed instantly, her only relaxant was Chandlers hand gently moving up and down her back letting her know he was there, weaving inbetween gatherings of dancers, Jack and Judy reached the birthday girl.

"Happy Birthday Rachel" Judy said, taking it in turns with Jack to hug and kiss Rachels cheek. Rachel smiled thanking them for attending her party and excitedly giving them a brief rundown of the night.

"Hi mom, dad" Ross greeted kissing his mother's cheek and shaking his father's hand, shifting his feet awkwardly he turns to his friends, "Pheebs, Joey, getting a drink?" He suggested raising an eyebrow getting them to catch on.

"Oh yes yes!" Phoebe exclaimed getting his idea and heading to the bar at the other end of the room. Judy finally approached Monica and Chandler who now stand further apart willing for someone to break the silence.

Monica glanced up at her mother, her grip slowly tightening around Peytons body unconsciously, staying quiet she saw Judy eye the little girl, then Monica then Chandler much more carefully.

"Monica, I-I don't..."

About a Year Earlier

Jack and Judy sat on the large round table along with Chandler, Phoebe, Joey, Ross, Rachel, Will and Monica, ready for a family dinner they had planned a week before.

"It smells delicious darling" Judy complimented, "But don't you think your hair should be tied back whilst your cooking?" Monica leant against the counter breathing deeply, the anger coursing through her veins from her mother's constant digs, joint with the sickness from every bit of food she'd cooked today, it was all a little too much.

Will noticed her distress and walked up behind her his arms wrapping around her meeting on her stomach, partially relaxing Monica gulped deep breaths of air attempting to control her stomach. "Mon we just need to tell them, your parents deserve to know, and your friends will soon start to notice anyway" he whispered into her hair.

Truthfully, she knew that her parents deserved to know, but she knew fully well that they would react in a bad way no matter whether she was happy and ready or not. As for her friends, they would start to notice soon, looking in the mirror she can already see the weight gain in her face and a tiny bump forming, she would only be able to hide it for so long.

Turning in Will's arm, nothing shown more in her eyes than anxiety and complete upset, she nodded. Tucking lose strands of hair behind her ear, Will, gently kissed her lips, "Love you" in little belief Monica weakly replied with "I know" and broke out of his embrace.