1.8

June 17, 2014

The world seemed to move in slow motion as the HYDRA agents surrounded us. I watched as Steve threw down his shield and Rumlow had agents without guns come towards the three of us, forcing us on our knees, putting handcuffs on us. I didn't even try to fight the agents as they forced us into the back of the heavily armored van. When we were in the van, I was put next to Sam, Steve across from us. I stared blankly ahead of me, while Sam and Steve discussed Bucky. "It was him. He looked at the two of us like we were nothing. When Clara walked up to him, I thought I saw something change but then..." Steve stopped talking and I felt his eyes on mine.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago." Sam asked.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..." Steve answered him. I remembered the day they came back. It was the happiest I felt in a while.

Flashback

It had been a week since Steve left to find the rest of the 107th. And Bucky. He left to get Bucky. Clara hadn't done any of her duties in a week. Maria had taken over most of them. She couldn't help but feel useless. Knowing that both her boys were out there, probably dead, was no comfort. One of the soldiers from outside the tent, threw open the tent flap. He said something, Clara wasn't sure of what, but suddenly everyone that could walk was gone, running towards something. Clara had assumed it was a fight. The commotion outside was building up and soon Clara heard cheering. She shot up from her seat and opened the tent flap. From the tent across her, she saw Agent Carter and Colonel do the same. She followed them, in case anyone needed help. But what she saw was no fight...

It was her boys.

It was Steve, alive and well.

It was Bucky. Her Bucky.

She felt tears swell in her eyes as she stared at them, Bucky not seeing her yet. A long line of soldiers cheered and clapped for not just the safety of their men but to congratulate Steve. Clara knew Steve well enough to know that he felt proud. And he had a damn good reason to be. Clara stood behind Agent Carter, trying not to get in the way. "Colonel, some of these men need medical attention." Steve told him, saluting. "I can help with that." Clara spoke up. Agent Carter moved out of the way and Clara saw Bucky's surprised face. She looked over to Steve and smiled at him. "Bring the wounded to the tent. There are already nurses in there, ready to help." Clara directed the soldiers who were helping the injured. Yet, she didn't move. She couldn't stop staring at Bucky. He was still as handsome as the day she first fell in love with him. "Hey, let's hear it for Captain America!" He shouted out. Around him, everyone starting cheering and clapping for Steve. As the crowd started to disperse, Clara could hardly contain herself. "Hey doll." Bucky greeted her. His clothes were tattered and there were obvious scars all over him. Clara couldn't contain her worry and excitement anymore as she launched herself into Bucky's arms. He chuckled, catching her. She nuzzled her head into his neck. She didn't care about how much he smelled. She was just glad to have him back. "I love you so much." She mumbled. "I love you too doll." He kissed her lips, never wanting to break apart.

I looked up at Steve and shook my head. "None of that's your fault, Steve. You didn't know. I'm just glad you brought him home." Both Sam and Steve looked at me, shocked that I had replied at all.

"Even when I had nothing, I had you and Bucky." I gave Steve a small smile but then I winced when I moved back. My shoulder. I almost forgot that I had been shot. Sam notices the wince and looks at my shoulder and then at the guards.

"We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on her wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck." I chuckled a little but then was shocked when one of the guards suddenly pulled out an electric rod and neutralizes the other guard, knocking him out. The guard takes off their helmet, revealing Agent Hill. I smile, shaking my head.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain." I laughed as I looked at her. Sam looks at her in confusion as does Maria. She then looks at Steve. "Who's this guy?" She asked. Steve smiled.

"I've never been more glad to see you Maria." She smiles, winking at me. Maria pulls out a fancy gadget and cuts the bottom of the car off. All of us, slip out of the car and onto an abandoned road where Maria leads us to another car.

When we get to wherever we're going, Steve opens the sliding door and helps me out, careful not to touch my shoulder. Maria leads us further into the secret facility where a man rushes towards us. "GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Maria tells the man, referring to me.

"Maybe two." Sam informs him. The guy nods and moves towards me but Maria shakes her head.

"She'll want to see him first." We all look to Maria, unsure of whom she's referring to. Maria leads us further into the facility where she moves a plastic curtain, revealing a much alive Director Fury lying in a medical bed. Steve and I look at him in shock.

"About damn time." Fury remarks, makes me shake my head, a small smile forming on my lips.

The doctor made me sit down and began to treat my shoulder wound as we all stared at Fury as he explained. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." He told us. The doctor beside me looked at Fury.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." Fury laughed.

"Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." He remarked sarcastically.

"They cut you open; your heart stopped." I said. "We thought you were dead." 

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Fury said, looking over at me.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked, his arms crossed at Fury looked over at him.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Maria stated, making Fury nod.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Steve and I looked at each other.