Confusion, Friends, Reasons And Me

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes. “Why James! Aren’t you the funny one in the basket?”

“Well yes.” James agreed, smirking. “I think I’m the funniest one there.”

“Yeah, if we’re talking about looks that is.” I grinned.

James pouted, “How very dare you!”

“I dared.” I pointed out.

James rolled his eyes as he paused for a moment, “So Nellie, what were you thinking about?”

“I can’t tell you.” I replied. I couldn’t. Well, I could. I trust James, but Sirius is his best friend and I wouldn’t want to put him an awkward situation. Aren’t I nice?

James raised his eyebrow, just one. I felt a little twinge of jealously. Just how do you raise just one? “I‘m going to take a wild guess now...Sirius?”

“Wow, James, Old misty eyes would be so proud.” Old misty eyes were the nickname for the Divination teacher. She likes to claim that we are all aliens, because we’re magical, and the thing that truly makes me believe that she’s crazy is that she likes mixing mashed potato with fruit. I mean, who does that? It should be a food crime!

James scrunched up his face in disgust, but his eyes glittered with amusement, “Yeah. As if. Like she could ever come up with something that’s true!”

I laughed, “One day she might.”

“So I was right?”

“Yeah.”

“What about Sirius?”

“I don’t understand him.” I stated, sometimes I thought I did, but then he would rip the bathmat from under my feet and I would be confused all over again. “I have concluded that he is a giant fish finger.” James opened his mouth to talk but I found myself rambling. “I just want things to go back to normal. I don’t like it, I want my friend back. I wish he wasn’t avoiding me, makes me feel like I smell.” I made a little ‘humph’ sound.

“Nellie, you don’t smell.” James laughed, “Sirius is…well…he’s Sirius.”

“Yeah, and a confusing Sirius at that.”

James thought for a moment, before saying, “Right Nellie.” James cleared his throat, “You want to know about Sirius? Why he is acting the way he is? Why he rejected you after leading you on?”

Those were only a few of the answers I wanted if I was honest

I breathed in. Was I even ready for the answers? I sighed, it was now or never. I would just have to be ready I guess. “Well…yes.”

“Sirius fancies the pants off you.”

“Sirius fancies my pants?!”

That’s odd. Sirius is a weirdo!

And he has only seen them a couple of times! And they have always been accidents!

“Not like that you muffin!” James said through his laughter, as I glared at him. “Sirius likes you in the romantic way. You know, the kissy wissy way.”

Well, how was I supposed to know…he could have just said that before and not mention underwear!

I sighed, “No. James, I think you’re wrong. Our relationship is strictly platonic.” I tried to reason with James, but he just shook his head.

“Yeah if that‘s true, I‘m a blue spotted daisy, Lily is as cold as a snow man, Remus just started a petition to ban books, Peter secretly turns into lion at night and James thinks Quidditch is as fun as Binns.” Izzie cut in. I turned around and there she was; grinning. She was standing with Lily, Remus and Peter. Good, no Sirius. “You get my point Nellie?”