"What We Are, Is What 'Us' Isn't"

It all started out in a boring english class. Two friends were sitting side by side. One of them wrote a story in a piece of paper ripped from her notebook. Inspired by the words that flowed out of her brain and into the paper, she showed it to her friend. His response? He was confused. At the end of the story, she had written "Never 'us'. Always 'we'." He asked her. 'What's the difference between us and we?' So, she said to him. "As us, we are bound together to everything. As we, we are free to choose our own paths of life, but we shall never drift apart." He smiled at her words. "What did you eat this morning?" He asked her, and she punched him, playfully. Soon it became their motto. Never us. Always we.

********

Her wet hair was stuck on her forehead. His  gelled hair was neatly quiffed.

Her hair was messily trimmed. He just got a haircut.

She thought he looked like a ridiculous boyband member. He thought she looked like a startled cat.

She didn’t bother to study. He stayed up all night to do the very thing.

She spent all night in a fictional world. He spent his night with his head in his textbooks.

She never bothered with love. Love was everything to him.

Her heart was already numb. His heart was still bruising.

She wasn’t affected anymore by broken hearts. He still cries every night to sleep.

Her heart wasn’t whole anymore but she stopped them from being more broken. His was already crumbling to nothingness.

She needed a friend. He needed remedy.

She sent him silly poems. He thought it was good

She sent him silly poems. He understood.

There was no ‘us’ between them. Always ‘we’.

*****

        The poetic diary of her complicated and tangled mess, and the horribly scattered word of his life.