Chapter Eighteen

Começar do início

"You were angry with Mr. Ingram."

"Why would I be? I won it off of Daniel Dunbar, not Ingram. And, as it happens, I have begun to restore Pearsend to its former glory. It is not the burden I thought it would be."

Mr. Appleton raised an eyebrow. "Have you? I find that rather far fetched. From all accounts, it has been described as a ruin."

"Not quite a ruin, but well on its way to being so. My new steward will arrive by the end of the week and I have a list of matters for him to attend to. At least, I shall keep it from falling further into disrepair."

I hadn't slowed my pace at all during the conversation and the other man was beginning to sound a bit winded. It was my guess that he didn't walk as much as a man his age ought to. "I see," he said. "Well, I shall leave you here, Mr. Bywood. Kindly remember you are not to leave Bath as of yet."

"Of course, though as I do have an estate to see to, I remind you that I cannot remain indefinitely." The money I had won from Ingram and Dunbar was swiftly leaving my pocket. I was not of a mind to join Ward in playing for more. If I had an estate to improve, I would have to end my holiday sooner rather than later.

Appleton didn't say anything or try to argue. He slowed to a stop as I continued on. I could only hope I had given him enough to turn his suspicion elsewhere. It would have been better if I had a name to hint toward, but perhaps I would after Pennyworth returned.

Why had Appleton sought me out privately? Had he expected it to rattle me, surprise me into saying something to incriminate myself? Or had he expected me to speak against Ward when my friend was not there to hear it?

Either way, it did not bode well. If Appleton was fixated on myself and Ward, the true murderer would escape

Never mind that the culprit had obviously done a favor to society. Well, if everything Ward had told me was true and not bias from his own experience. I would not mourn him or pretend to be sorry in company.

Or would that only make things worse? The whole situation was giving me a headache. At least when I was at home, I knew who I was dealing with and how their minds work. In Bath, I was a stranger with only a handful of friends and I had no idea where they would fall in this situation.

Of course, I had expected my family to stand by me and I had been mistaken in them so perhaps it was better I had no expectations now with these new friends. They could do what they would and not disappoint me.

Well, perhaps that wasn't quite true.

Shaking my head, I continued on my way to the stable. A ride in the countryside should help clear my head. At least, it would allow me some time away from Bath.

◆◆◆

The mount I hired for a few hours lacked Phaeton's heart and stamina, but he was a fine enough horse. Breathing in the fresh country air was refreshing and did wonders to help clear my head. I didn't encounter anyone for hours, which was also a boon to my mood.

By the time I returned to the inn, I was hungry. I hadn't taken any food with me for my country excursion, so it had been hours since I'd had anything to eat. My first stop was the dining room of the inn where I ordered dinner.

It was a bit early for anyone else to be eating, so my privacy continued as I ate.

"Ah, Master Bywood," Pennyworth said, approaching the table. "I hoped you would return. Did you enjoy your ride?"

"I did." I eyed him curiously. "Did you learn something?"

He glanced around and then sat down. Bold of him to do as I hadn't invited him, but what did it matter? I leaned forward. "So you did learn something?"

"Nothing specific," Pennyworth warned, keeping his voice low. "The footman informed me-and I'm sure he spoke to Mr. Appleton as well-that he did not allow anyone in that evening. He did, however, state he heard Mr. Ingram carrying on a conversation near midnight."

"He didn't check?"

Pennyworth raised an eyebrow at me. "A well-trained servant would never dare, especially not in a household such as Ingram's. If he was needed, he would have been summoned by the master of the house. The footman did not remember any specific visitor, save for a maid who served as a messenger a handful of times in the past few weeks."

I shook my head. "I'm afraid that is no help. He surely cannot mean to suggest that woman had anything to do with Ingram's murder."

"Given that a maid attacked Mr. Dunbar earlier this week, it would not be a stretch to imagine a young woman defending herself."

Startled, I stared at him. It hadn't been a rumor? "I thought...I mean, I had dismissed that rumor as being too ridiculous to be true," I said. "You're sure?"

"I had it from the Dunbar's butler himself," Pennyworth said with undisguised offense. "It was not the poor girl's fault. Dunbar harassed her constantly up to the night before Ingram's murder and tried to force himself on the girl. He deserved the knife in the shoulder he got."

 I hadn't liked Dunbar when I had met him, thinking him a reckless person. This information merely solidified my dislike. Good for the poor maid for defending herself, though few would have agreed with me. Dunbar deserved a broken nose for trying to take advantage of the girl.

"You don't think she could have killed Ingram, do you?" Hadn't I already asked that?

After a moment of consideration, Pennyworth shook his head. "I couldn't confirm it was the same maid used as a messenger. If it was, Bryant—that would be the footman's name—states that the girl clearly didn't want to be there. At least once, she refused to enter the house. Unless she was forced there, I doubt she would have gone to Ingram's house for any reason."

"So, all we know is that someone was there that night, which is not at all surprising since someone obviously was there to murder him." I rubbed my temples. "I appreciate your hard work, but I don't think that information helps us at all."

Nothing to clear Ward of suspicion, which had been the whole point. "Perhaps, but it proves the visitor arrived secretively," Pennyworth said. "He arrived with the intention to kill. Or at least, that would be my assumption since he wished to remain unseen by Ingram's staff."

It was strange to hear him speak so informally of Ingram. Had he decided the deceased man didn't deserve the respect of "Mister?" Did other servants subtly insult a person in a like manner?

"I can't say that comes as a surprise. How does that help?"

The valet hesitated. "I can't say it does help," he admitted. "But from what you know of Mr. Ward, is he the type of person who would find a way to sneak into a house to have a discussion with someone?"

"I know there would have to be some serious reason to make Ward go anywhere near Ingram." What a mess it all was! "I suppose if there was such a reason, Ward would have preferred not to be seen even speaking to Ingram. But such a statement only serves to cast more suspicion, doesn't it? I just cannot believe he would do something of this nature, no matter how much he hated the man."

Pennyworth nodded in understanding. "I'll keep searching. Mr. Ward has been a polite gentleman every time I have crossed paths with him. I, too, do not believe him capable of this crime."

As nice as it was to hear my own conviction echoed, I knew it wouldn't be enough to clear Ward. Who would listen to the word of a friend and servant? No, it would take definite evidence to convince a judge and jury.

I may be exaggerating the matter but I had faced an unjust accusation before and it was not a pleasant situation. I was confident I would escape suspicion myself, so I was determined to see Ward cleared as well.

"I am attending a dinner party tonight, so I will need my evening wear," I said. I'd been surprised by the invitation from Mrs. Forester. Of course, it had been addressed only to me and Ward hadn't mentioned an invitation when we parted ways after breakfast.
And maybe once I arrived on the Forester's door, they will have decided to uninvite me.