"Yeah you're cool," I casually said with a Jennie gawking afterwards. She immediately began to swat my arms,

"Take that back Manoban," she laughed out. I squealed and tried to block her hits,

"Help! I'm getting assaulted by a raging cat!"

"Keep that up and I'm dropping your tiny ass off right here right now."

I guess we're back to normal.

Or so I thought.

"You coming in?" I asked, unbuckling my seatbelt. Normally, after school, Jennie would come over and do her homework with me. But it looked like she had other plans, seeing as she was fiddling with her fingers and sending me a smile that looked apologetic. I looked into her nervous eyes that seemed to be glazing with regret.

I didn't know why.

"Can't today, my mom wants me home tonight," she said before looking forward and clearing her throat. I gripped onto the door handle with the lack of further explanation.

She was lying.

I forced out a smile, "Oh okay, I'll call you tonight then?" I asked. I held in my breath as relief washed over her tensed features before she gave me my favorite smile of hers. It was the kind of smile that always left me lightheaded and the reason for my heart skipping a beat.

It was when her eyes would squint, her cheeks would puff out and I would have a glimpse of her cute gums. I always called it her beautiful gummy smile.

She nodded, "And I'll answer, trust me." I chuckled while opening the door. I slide out, shouldering my bag and bent down to smile at her,

"I trust you Jennie," I said. My tone was full of sincerity because I genuinely trusted her. She was someone I love and was my best friend after all. But, seeing as her body tensed up and she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, something stirred in the pit of my stomach, something bad.

I trust her.

I trust her.

I trust her.

I trusted her.

"Mom I'm home!" I yelled out.

"I-in the kitchen." The way she stuttered mixed with the emptiness in her voice, I knew something was wrong. I quickly dropped my bag on the floor and rushed into the kitchen.

My heart was racing but in the worse way possible.

I walked in and took in a sharp breath seeing my mother whimpering into my fathers chest. He had a stoned look but his eyes screamed out pain. His jaw was clenched with his eyes brimming as he continued rubbing soothing circles on my mothers back.

"What happened?" I whispered, afraid of breaking more than I already am. My mother slowly sat up and held my fathers hand. She sent me a pained look and reached for me to take her hand.

I was scared.

I cautiously placed my hand in hers and she immediately held on tightly with a single tear escaping from her sorrowful eyes. My father reached over and took my other hand but kept his pained eyes down to the floor.

"What's going on?" I asked, my voice was laced with confusion and fear. The anticipation was slowly killing me from the inside. I kept on reassuring myself that it was okay and that maybe it wasn't something too serious. But the moment my mother opened her mouth and spoke, I felt my whole world crumbling before me.