Pursuit

(A/N: finally! It’s here!)

Jiang Cheng read his subordinate’s report about the recent sighting of a corpse. “Hmm.” He hummed. “Send the new disciples in the patrolling team for them to gain experience.” He said as he wrote on a new paper and stamped it before he handed it to his subordinate. He stamped the report, marking it done and put it on the side.

“Yes, sect leader.” His subordinate saluted and immediately left, bringing the new order to the others.

Jiang Cheng finally heaved a sigh as he laid his back on the wall, taking a break. It’s been a long time since he last felt relaxed. That was when before Wei Wuxian died, and after Wei Wuxian came back alive. After the Guanyin temple incident which finally ended all the dangers lurking in the dark due to Jin Guangyao, finally, he (JC) could take breaks in between his work and he felt his body completely relaxed. He only got his sect to manage since Jin Ling already grew up and he only had to supervise him from time to time.

He looked at the pile of papers on his desk. “Too much work… it’s really tiring to be a sect lea – “

“Sect leader Jiang.” A low and deep voice called.

Jiang Cheng’s eyes went wide and he immediately sat upright when he heard and unfamiliar voice. However, his action was too abrupt he felt his waist snapped. “Oww!” he hissed in a whisper as he sent his hand on his back, holding his waist.

“Sect leader Jiang! Are you alright?!” Lan Xichen worriedly asked as he ran towards Jiang Cheng and saw him holding his back.

Jiang Cheng raised his head and looked at the newcomer. “Sect leader Lan.” He called, surprised. “What brought you here?” he asked. “You didn’t announce your arrival. I was surprised.” He said.

“I told your disciples not to notify you, which is the cause why you got hurt. I apologize.” Lan Xichen said, guilt in his voice as he sent spiritual power to relieve the pain.

Jiang Cheng’s eyes went wide as he looked in surprise. “Sect leader Lan, how kind of you.” He said. “Thank you.” He told him when he felt the pain is gone.

Lan Xichen smiled as he stood in front of Jiang Cheng. “It’s nothing.” He told him.

Jiang Cheng nodded. A moment of silence fell upon them. “Sect leader Lan. What brought you here?” he asked when he felt the atmosphere suddenly turned awkward. He lowered his head, pretending to read the reports. “Please have a seat.” He added when the other didn’t answer and so the silence continued. The GusuLan sect are really stifling people. He thought, remembered Lan Wangji’s taciturn attitude. How unlucky Wei Wuxian is marrying that guy. With that thought, he snorted.

Lan Xichen, who was staring at Jiang Cheng’s face for a long time after finally seeing the other up close, woke from his daze when he heard the other laughed. He saw the other was smiling. A smile formed on his lips subconsciously. “Sect leader Jiang is laughing. I wonder what could it be?” he asked.

Jiang Cheng suddenly remembered there’s a visitor. He fixed his expression and coughed to hide his embarrassment. “Nothing. Just a thought.” He answered.

“I wonder if sect leader Jiang could share it with me?” Lan Xichen asked.

Jiang Cheng paused, then looked at him. “I just remembered Wei Wuxian and your brother’s marriage.” He finally answered.

Hearing this, Lan Xichen paused, then his smile became wider. “Have sect leader Jiang thought of marriage?” he asked and stared at Jiang Cheng.
Jiang Cheng froze. He raised his head and looked at Lan Xichen. He stared at the man before he spoke, his face went serious. “Is sect leader Lan here to ask me of my marriage?” he asked, puzzled. Why should this man care of my marriage? He thought and frowned. Was it because I am somewhat part of his family now that we are brothers-in-law? He thought.