Chapter One - Defiance

"Long have a waited..." Rey's eyes widened as the voice from behind sent shivers down her spine. She felt her chest tighten and her breath became slow and thin. Nausea settled in the back of her mind and Rey knew that the time had come to face her fears. She struggled to move with every step as she turned around to face her grandfather. Rey took a shallow breath. She had prepared for this. She had known that she had to face him and she had been ready. So why did she feel so weak? Her knees felt like jelly and Rey felt overwhelming nausea as she turned around to finally meet her grandfather.

"For my grandchild to come home." Her grandfather said with open arms. Rey watched, horrified, as the creature who had once been a man, the man who was the reason for her existence, approached her. She shuddered. He was barely alive and his body was mangled and useless. But even then, in his weakened state, he was able to maipulate, control, and even influence what had been happening throughout the galaxy. How was it possible? Rey trembled as his presence surged through her and strenghened her power. She could feel the connection of their blood growing stronger. His words rang through her mind. "For my grandchild to come home." Rey's brow furrowed in confusion. Did he not want her dead like her parents?

"I never wanted you dead." He said as he read her mind with a smile. Rey blinked, trying to keep him from seeing the fear in her eyes, the pain in her expression, and the uncontrollable anger he was about to unleash. "I wanted you here, Empress Palpatine." He smiled, sending shrills through her mind. Rey shuddered, fighting the urge to kill him then and there. She wouldn't give in to her anger, she wouldn't! She'd almost killed Ben... or Kylo Ren last time she gave into her anger. But whether he was Ben Solo or Kylo Ren, she didn't want to kill him. Her overwhelming anger frightened her, and she was determined to fight it.

"You will take the throne." Palpatine said matter-of-factly, coming closer with every word. "It is your birthright to rule here. It is in your blood, our blood." He smiled maliciously. Rey stepped back, trying to keep her distance so that she did not do anything drastic or stupid if he came near her. She would keep her anger under control and not strike until he was finished. She was justified in killing him to say the least, but Rey wouldn't kill him out of anger and hatred. She would kill him to save the Resistance and be rid of the Sith forever.

   "I haven't come to lead the Sith," She said raising her head. "I've come to end them." Rey finished her statement, keeping her eyes downcast yet watching his proximity. "As a Jedi?" He asked as if it were a statement but he was proving it certain. "Yes." She said, looking up and meeting his eye with certainty and finality. Palpatine frowned. "No..." He said, drawing out the word in his ragged voice. "In your hatred, your anger, you want to kill me." He said reaching into her mind. "That is what I want." Rey shook her head, a barely noticeable motion and stared at him, her brow furrowed with confusion. What did he mean? Rey's breathing became heavy as he still neared. She struggled to keep her anger and confusion under control but her blood boiled hot.

"Kill me... and my spirit will pass into you. As all the Sith live in me, you will be Emperess. We will be one." Rey gasped and shook her head. No! She cried out inside her mind. She would never become a Sith! She would never become the Emperess! But dread overtook her. How was she going kill him without becoming the new Sith leader?! How could she defeat him without becoming the Empress?! She refused to strike him down in anger and become everything she had ever feared she be. No matter how much she hated him, Rey would never take that path.

"The time has come!" He said with hands raised high and a crowd came to life behind them. Rey turned as fear settled in. "With your hatred you will take my life and you will ascend!" The crowd began to cheer and chant, for they knew their leader was about to take on a new form. Rey wouldn't let that happen though. She would not allow the Sith to take over, using her as their power source. Rey swallowed, knowing what she had to do and felt the heat pass from her flushed face. She would not hate him any longer. No matter what he had done to her, she would not let hatred rule her anymore.