A Fiery Winter Game

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Okay, I suppose there is a small grain of accuracy to that", he admitted with a hint of a smile. "What are you doing here anyway, trying to escape too?"

She shook her head.

"I joined the party a bit late and sort of attempted to catch up, so I had a few flutes of champagne too quick and started feeling tipsy."

She took a little side-step as if to prove her point and he registered the high heels and her well-shaped legs. Despite her short statue, her legs somehow seemed long and alluring as they disappeared up under the dress.

"I went to the bathroom to flush myself with some water to freshen up and on the way back saw the doors to the orangery were open and got curious. Didn't expect to find a lonesome stranger." The wry smile accompanying her words, caused a small flutter in his stomach. "If you would rather be alone, I'll just return to the others. I don't find this party half as tedious as you seem to do, and I suppose I'm one of the guests you find 'pretty damn boring'."

She made a move as if to turn around to leave.

"No." She looked back at him in surprise and he was almost as surprised himself. He was not sure why, but he did not want her to leave just yet. "Don't go, stay and keep me company. It would be nice."

"Really? I'm not disturbing your lonely smoke time?"

"No, you're right, it's bad for me anyway."

He smiled and nodded to the other armchair, as a sign for her to take a seat.

"And you're going to be civil?" She cocked an eyebrow at him, indicating she had indeed found him rude before even if she clearly was not one to be easily offended.

"I will try, but I can't make any promises", he smirked and realised he already enjoyed himself more in her company than he did with most people he knew.

"Well then, I suppose I could join you for a while."

She made it sound like she graciously granted him a favour, but he saw the mischievous glitter in her eyes. He felt strangely pleased when she after a brief hesitation came over and sat down.

In addition to the many Mediterranean plants it was built to host, the orangery was equipped with two big comfortable armchairs, several plaids and a coffee table as his sister-in-law enjoyed sitting here reading. For Christmas time Mary had decorated the room with fairy lights and an abundance of tea light holders, all beautifully lit up tonight. It was one of Sidney's favourite places in the house because of the contrast between the cosy inside and the harsh coastal winter landscape just outside the huge windows. He would happily spend his entire stay in Sanditon here and preferably alone. At least he had thought so up to now.

"I could get us something to drink?" he offered.

"Thanks, but I'm not sure it is a good idea."

"Come on, it's a party after all. What's the fun in staying sober?"

"Okay, maybe a glass but no more fizz, I had enough of that. Some red wine might be nice."

"I'll be back in a minute."

Agilely he got up and went down the hallway, quickly passed the doors to the big room where most of the guests were gathered and sneaked into the kitchen to nick a bottle of red wine and two glasses. As he opened the bottle, he heard Tom's voice approaching and hurried out the same way he had come, knowing that if his brother caught him, he would never make it back to the orangery.

There was a spring to his step when he scurried back, but he stopped just outside the double doors suddenly fearing she would be gone and realising that would make him very disappointed.