scared > g.d

"grayson?" i placed my things on the kitchen counter quietly, in case he was asleep. i took off my shoes and tiptoed up the stairs. i opened our bedroom door to find my boyfriend, sound asleep in our shared bed. i smiled at the cute boy, then went to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

my job required late nights, and it sucked, for both me and grayson. we barely spent any time together because i was at work, which meant that we barely talked, leaving us to slowly but surely drift apart. i hated that it happened, but i couldn't just give up a job that pays well.

i hopped in the shower, letting the warm water flow down my body, relaxing each and every muscle as it did so. i washed myself, dried off, and got dressed in one of grayson's tshirts and a pair of my nike shorts underneath. his shirt was very long, so you couldn't even tell that i had anything on under it. i brushed out my hair and put it in two loose braids, which resulted in wavy hair in the morning. i brushed my teeth and climbed into bed beside grayson. i snuggled into his side and draped my arm across his stomach ever so lightly, to not wake him.

3am.

i was woken up by the aggresive movements in the bed beside me. i rubbed my eyes and turned my head to see grayson, twisting and turning, muttering words under his breath. a nightmare. he had them rarely, in fact this is only the third one that i've experienced while dating him. (we've been together for 2 years now)

"grayson." i gently placed my hand on the side of his face, moving my thumb back and forth, hoping to calm him. when he didn't wake up, i continued to say his name, and gently shook him.

"gray. please, wake up. you're having a nightmare. grayson!" he finally shot up, panting heavily. he turned to face me, the tears in his eyes threatening to fall. i wrapped him in a hug and he placed his head on my shoulder, burying it in the crook of my neck. i could feel tear drops falling onto the shirt i was wearing. i rubbed his back, attempting to calm him down. "shh it's okay. i'm here." slowly but surely he calmed down, but still had his head on my shoulder.

"do you wanna talk about it gray?" he pulled away from me and stared into my eyes. i saw more tears form before he said, "please don't leave me." those four words literally broke my heart. he's scared of me leaving.

i pull him back in for another hug. "don't be scared, i'm right here. i'm not leaving. i couldn't even if i wanted to. i love you too much baby."

eventually he laid back down, ready to go back to sleep. i laid down next to him and he held me close to his chest, so i could hear his heartbeat. i sighed, fully content with this moment.

"good night grayson. i love you."

"good night baby. thank you for everything. i love you more."

published jan 03 2020