When Does One Need a Kidney Transplant?

Medical science has come a long way from its initial days, with numerous lifesaving surgical treatments available even for most critical medical conditions. One such improvement can be witnessed in the field of kidney transplant. Every year countless patients take up kidney transplant at best multispeciality hospital in south Delhi to revive healthy functioning and daily work routines. However, it is still a very complex procedure and therefore only recommended to those patients who fall short of any other treatment option to heal.

 However, it is still a very complex procedure and therefore only recommended to those patients who fall short of any other treatment option to heal

When to take up kidney transplant

Kidney transplant is a complex surgical treatment usually prescribed for patients suffering from end stage renal disease, commonly known as kidney failure. Your kidneys are mainly responsible for blood filtering and removal of excess waste and fluid from the blood via urinary tract.

During a kidney transplant, surgeons generally place a healthy kidney from either a live or deceased donor into the patient's body to help him revive his normal body functions. It is mostly done to correct the declining filtering abilities of a patient's kidney and help him eradicate waste formation in the body. Even the best doctor for kidney transplant abstains from recommending kidney transplant to a patient until and unless no other option stands practicable.

Some common causes that may eventually lead to end stage renal disease include chronic diabetes, chronic high blood pressure, polycystic kidney disease or chronic glomerulonephritis disease.

When is it recommended?

Kidney transplant is often recommended for patients facing severe kidney failure conditions like end stage renal disease or other forms of chronic kidney disease. While many patients may take up regular dialysis treatment in case of kidney failure, most surgeons would advice you to take up transplant surgery to lead a better lifestyle. A kidney transplant essentially helps lower the risk of death in most cases and also bypasses various dietary restrictions that come associated with other kinds of treatment.

Risks involved

Although kidney transplant is a widely popular and effective treatment, it still carries numerous risk factors that may affect its applicability in certain patients

Although kidney transplant is a widely popular and effective treatment, it still carries numerous risk factors that may affect its applicability in certain patients. Some of the risks associated with kidney transplant surgery are:

Although it is a popular corrective measure adopted in case of kidney failure, it doesn't supply as a permanent cure. The newly transplanted kidney faces the same risk of failure in few individuals who took up kidney transplant to return back to their normal life.

Another major risk connected with kidney transplant is the scope of organ rejection which is quite noticeable in adults and mid-aged individuals.

Although organ rejection can be prevented using various medications and immunosuppressants, these medications can in turn boost your chances of facing side effects related to the body's immunity and other acquired infections.

The surgical treatment might even result in the blockage of your ureter that essentially connects the kidney to the urinary bladder via a long pipe like structure.