The elder brothers

"You can try this thing here... it's really nice," said Virat, showing Tani a particular item in the menu card at the Japanese restaurant he had taken her.

"You order, bhaiya," said Tani hastily.

Virat raised an eyebrow.

"For someone whose 'favourite cuisine' is Japanese you seem pretty clueless about it," he said.

Tani grinned a little embarassedly. "My mom took me to a Japanese restaurant once, but I don't remember what she ordered."

"Nice," said Virat drily, and he ordered.

After they finished eating, Virat asked, "Don't you want dessert?"

"No," said Tani promptly.

"Why the hell not?" demanded Virat. "If you're being shy, I'll..."

"I'm not being shy, I just know you don't eat dessert, like, ever, and I wouldn't want to tempt you."

Virat grinned, thinking that even his own teammates didn't have this much consideration towards him.

"Ok," said Virat. "I'll take you to a place you'll like, come on."

He didn't give her any hint about where he was taking them, and Tani found herself outside a bookshop.

"I've noticed to like reading books a lot... don't you?" asked Virat.

"YES!" said Tani with rare delight, as she dashed inside. Virat followed her at a more sedate pace.

By the time he reached her, Tani was already crouched at a shelf, studying a book with reverence.

Virat kneeled down beside her to take a look. Tani looked at him half-suspiciously.

"I like reading," said Virat defensively. "Whatever impression my teammates may have given you."

"Really, Virat bhaiya, do you?" asked Tani, eagerly. She pulled out 'The Da Vinci code' and showed it to him. "Have you read this? It's my favourite book."

"No," said Virat, amused to see her so animated. "Do you recommend it?"

"Totally," said Tani emphatically.

"Ok, I'll take this," said Virat, taking the book. "You see if you want to buy anything too."

Tani could never go to a bookstore and not buy anything, and when they came out, both of them were laden with books, almost all chosen by Tani.

After they walked back to the hotel, Virat put down the bag and said with conviction, "I'm sure you bought all the heaviest books of the shop and made me carry them."

"I didn't..." began Tani seriously.

Virat slapped his forehead.

"Tani... I was joking."

"Oh," said Tani sheepishly. "Sorry. By the way bhaiya, thanks so much for today! I haven't had so much fun since..." She trailed off.

"Since?" prompted Virat.

"Never mind," said Tani. "Thank you for taking all the trouble to do this, bhaiya."

"Trouble? Seriously? Tani, you call me bhaiya, right? Can't I do such a little thing for my sister?" demanded Virat. "I had a lot of fun too, and you dare call it trouble again," he warned.

"I won't," assured Tani.

Slowly but surely, he was changing from her favourite player Virat Kohli to her Virat bhaiya. Someone to always depend on.