Devon slides into the seat next to her with raised eyebrows. "Why do you look so happy? Isn't this your punishment?"

"In mother's eyes, yes," Kaycee states. "But in my eyes, this is a day of adventure."

He snatches the paper mother gave her out of her hands, looking over it once before bursting into laughter. "You seriously believe that looking for... apples on a bargain will be an adventure?"

Kaycee snatches it back, scowling. "Yes, Devon, that's why I said it. I don't suppose you have any idea of what fun is, though, do you?"

"I know exactly what fun is, and that's why I'm tagging along." Devon counters, crossing his arms.

The carriage jolts forward, signaling their departure from the house. "Is something wrong back there?" Their father shouts from where he sits in the front, directing the horses.

"No sir!" They both shout in unison, and then shoot each other a glare.

"I don't understand why you can consider this trip fun, but I cannot," Kaycee says, voice lower this time.

He laughs. "Because you believe it will be fun for different reasons. You believe that marveling at the apples will be fun."

"And you? What, do you think following father around like an old, mindless drone will be entertaining?"

"I'm neither old nor mindless, dear sister," he says, "and just for that, I do not believe you deserve to know."

"Oh, don't be dramatic, Devon," Kaycee snaps, knowing by the look on his face that he would end up telling her anyway.

He hums. "Hm. Fine. If you must know... I've been meeting with a girl here."

Kaycee's eyes widen so much that she fears they might pop out of her skull. "What?? On errand trips?"

"Well, when you say it like that, it sounds less romantic," he laughs.

Kaycee furrows her eyebrows. "How else would I say it? Did your fingers brush over the crate of oranges? Did she help you lift some plant seed into the carriage? Did you-"

"I get it, stop talking," Devon cuts off, shaking his head.

She smiles. "Sorry. Force of habit. I'm happy for you, though. Does mother know?"

"Of course not. And I trust I can count on you to keep it that way," he responds.

"As long as you agree to back me up when it comes to this husband talk, from now on."

Tilting his head to the side, he shrugs. "I'll think about it."

"So will I."

He nods, and for the rest of the ride, the two sit in a comfortable silence. Kaycee busies herself by singing softly out of the tiny window on the door, watching trees and birds pass by with a small grin on her face. Occupying herself makes the ride seem much shorter, and in what feels like just ten minutes or so, the carriage is coming to an abrupt halt.

The door swings open to reveal her father, beaming for a reason unbeknownst to her, waving his arm as if to usher them outside. Devon allows her to step down first, offering an arm to help her- which she forcefully pushes away, rolling her eyes.

Once Devon exits as well, her father closes the door, looking between the two of them. "I assume your mother already briefed you two on what you should be doing?"

"Yes sir, we have a list of goods to buy," Devon answers for her. She doesn't say anything about the fact that the list is for her, not the two of them- she knows he's only saying this so their father doesn't suspect he is off with a girl.