One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 12

Start from the beginning

-------------

Gunter, Eren and Jean had glued themselves to the windows as soon as they heard the gunfire from the streets, knowing exactly the reason why it was happening.

"Can you see them?" Eren asked, trying to spot any movements from down below.

"No... Fuck, I knew this plan was gonna blow up." Jean hissed in frustration.

"We should get ready, just in case they can't stop by this house and we have no choice but to leave on our own." Gunter said from his window.

Jean and Eren both nodded and they turned to gather their supplies.

*MPH MMPH!* the soldier tried to scream through her gag as she was trying to yank herself free from the ropes around her wrists.

The three of them didn't give any attention to her, they had bigger problems on their mind. Gunter kept scanning the streets beneath them, seeing some figures appearing from the alley at the other side of the street. They were soldiers, getting their positions behind the corner of the house. He quickly understood they were planning an ambush for Levi and the others.

"Shit!" he hissed and took the rifle from his shoulder and yanked the bottom part of the window up, taking his shooting position against the window frame.

"Gunter? What are you doing?!" Eren stopped on his tracks as he saw the sudden action.

"They're gonna run straight into a trap. Those men need to be taken down." Gunter said with his cheek pressed against the weapon and eyes focused on his target.

He fired, taking down one of the soldiers from their hiding place. The soldiers quickly took cover, trying to find out from which direction the shot came from. Gunther reloaded, firing another shot, hitting his target. Three more, he thought while he was focusing his aim again. The soldiers had ducked down, out of his sight. Gunther held his breath, waiting to see a hint of movement from the place he expected them to hide.

"There they are!" Jean huffed in relief, peeking out the window, seeing three people approaching from the main street and running towards the building.

Gunther reached out his head to see, and that's when all the windows suddenly shattered as shots were fired at them. Jean ducked down, covering his head. Eren moved away from the windows, near the front door. The firing kept going for a while, before it finally ceased.

"Are you alright?" Eren asked from his spot.

"Yeah." Jean whined from his cover.

"Gunther?" Eren asked, not getting an answer.

He took a step closer to the window, reaching his neck over the couch that was blocking his sight. Gunther was lying on his stomach, face down, painting the floor red with the blood escaping his head. Eren stared at the sight for a few seconds with wide eyes.

With a gulp, he turned around in a hurry. "We have to leave, Jean!" Eren yelled, rushing towards the door.

The woman screamed through her gag with wide eyes, trying to struggle free.

"What about her?" Jean asked, gesturing towards the woman.

Another row of gunfire invaded the apartment, making Jean and Eren take cover on the floor. Eren looked up. The woman was a sitting duck in the middle of the bullet rain. He reached himself to the chair, yanking it away from the dead zone. Jean came to the help and they pushed the woman on the other side of the room, away from the danger. Eren started untying her hands.

"What are you doing?" Jean asked while trying to cover his head.

"You wanna just leave her here to get killed?" Eren yelled over the loud noise, before he looked at the woman, who was clearly freaking out.

The rope around her wrists was off and she immediately removed the cloth from her mouth and covered her face from the flying pieces of class and splinters.

"Sorry, but this is all I'm gonna do for you, since I don't trust you. Help yourself with the rest. Let's go Jean!" Eren said, leaving the woman removing the knots around her ankles.

"Bastards!" They heard her shout after them as they left the apartment, heading to the fire escape of the building.

"Are you sure we're doing the right thing? Maybe we could still stay there and wait for the others?" Jean questioned their actions as they reached the ground level and made their way in the direction they were instructed to leave.

"This is the plan B, goddammit... If anything goes wrong, just head back to the supply house and wait there -That's what Levi said, right? Aren't we doing just that --"

A bullet hit on the wall above his head.

"--Fuck's sake, I hate this place!" Eren screamed in frustration.

"Eren!" They heard a female voice behind them.

They looked behind their shoulders, seeing Levi, Mikasa and Hanji catching up to them from the distance.

"They got her!" Jean recognized Hanji.

The relief of seeing their plan work, was soon wiped off when they saw soldiers hurrying past the corner. The soldiers fired in their direction, making all five of them proceed their run with hunched backs in order to cover their heads. Eren and Jean reached on the corner of the building first, quickly taking their weapons ready. They started shooting covering fire towards the soldiers.

The trio reached their way around the same corner, and that's when Eren and Jean stopped their shooting and turned to run with the others. Eren noticed that Levi was holding his left arm and Mikasa had a bleeding cut on her cheekbone.

"Are you guys alright?" Eren worried.

"We're alive, now shut up and focus" Levi snapped, trying to navigate the fastest way out of the city.

The dumpster was just a few blocks away, and they managed to get some distance to the soldiers, but they were still following them.

"Listen, once we get to the sewers, just keep running through as fast as you can. These bastards will most likely come after us and we might lose them at the crossing point if we're fast enough." Levi said over his shoulder.

"B-but what about the dead one's inside?" Jean's eyes widened.

"We just have to trust ourselves to get on the other side, before they get us." Levi said, taking another turn to the streets.

------------

You sat on a bed in the hospital wing, staring out of the window, seeing the setting sun slowly coloring the sky with warm red. You took a deep sigh, feeling overwhelmed with everything that had happened today. Your eyes wandered on your arm, which was resting in front of you on a shoulder sling.

The fall from the watch level had dislocated your shoulder. They got it fixed, but it was still really painful. You had also sprained the muscles of your shoulder, and the nurse was guessing you also might have a fracture on your humerus. You were wrapped in bandages and told not to move your arm.

"Why me?" you muttered to yourself, wondering how you seem to get in trouble everywhere you go.

You gazed out the window again, thinking about Levi. Wondering what he might be going through at this exact moment. Would he get back? Was he already dead? Were they all dead? A single tear escaped your eye as you stared into the distance without blinking. You snapped out of your thoughts, pressing your eyes close and wiping the tear away with the back of your hand.

You were tired, both mentally and physically. You looked at the bed, how was inviting you to lie down. With another sigh, you carefully rested your back against the thin mattress. You heard a knock against the door frame. You turned your head towards the noise, seeing Erwin by the door.

"How are you doing?" he asked, not entering the room.

"Fine. Tired. Rose said it would be better if I stay here over the night. I'm not complaining. I'd rather have a stranger watch me sleep than being locked up alone in that panic room upstairs." you said quietly, looking at the ceiling. "That room creeped me out."

Erwin smiled for what you said. "I understand."

You turned your head back to him. "Did you get the gate fixed?"

"It holds. The bodies are still being gathered. They need to get burned or the air will turn bad to breath once they start to rot."

"Ugh." you wrinkled your nose, imagining the stench.

Erwin stared at you for a while in silence, moving his eyes from your injured arm to your face in turns. He looked puzzled, like he wanted to say something, but he still remained quiet.

"What is it?" you asked.

Erwin quickly wiped the distant look from his face, taking a step back to the hallway. "Nothing. I just came to see how you're doing. Get some rest." he gave you a small smile, before he disappeared in the hallway.

You knew that it wasn't just that. There was something about his look that made you feel strange, but instead of demanding the true answer from him, you remained quiet and just watched him leave. You shook the thought off your head and turned your gaze back towards the ceiling, closing your eyes, just wanting to get over this long day.