One place on Earth - Levi x Reader - part 10

Start from the beginning

------------ In the meantime ------------

You sat in the yard with Armin and Sasha, just killing time and trying to take your mind away from worrying about Levi. One of the guards climbed down the stairs at the gate, now rushing towards the building. He told you that they spotted a deer in the woods. Sasha was up in a split second with a manic look in her eyes, and ran after the man into the hospital. They soon returned and Sasha was holding a hunting bow in her arms.

You followed her to the gate and rushed the stairs up. The deer was really there, but it was a bit too far to get a clear shot from this spot. After a few moments of arguing, Mike, who was one of the men keeping a watch at the moment, opened the gate so that you could get into a better range. It had been a while since there's been proper meat on the menu, so he couldn't let the opportunity pass.

Sasha was going to make the shot, but you stopped her, begging her to let you do it. After you managed to talk her over about your skills, she handed the weapon to you. Mike and the others scattered near the gate to secure the area, while Sasha and you tiptoed to the other side of the gate. The bow was heavy and stiff. It took all your strength to get the string arched.

Wait...wait, you thought as you kept your eyes focused on the figure in the distance.

"It's gonna run away." Sasha worried next to you.

"Shut up." you whispered, trying to focus on your aim.

"You better hit it." she moved restlessly on her spot.

"Shut up!" you hissed.

The deer quickly lifted its head up high, tilting ears from side to side. It took a few steps, turned its head in your direction, and then, it started running.

"SHIIIIT!" Sasha almost cried.

You kept your eye on the running target. Holding your breath, you released the arrow from your fingers. It flew in the air, and hit the muscle on the deer's leg, not killing it.

"Oooh, so close." Armin sighed from the opened gate behind you.

"Fuck!" you quickly pulled another arrow from the quiver that Sasha was holding.

You took a deep breath and focused your strength to stretch the stiff string again. The deer had started jumping, trying to get rid of the object that caused pain in its leg. You trusted your instinct, aiming ahead of the deer, and you released the arrow. You watched the arrow fly between the trees. It sunk into the flesh between its ribs, making the animal drop to the ground.

"You did it!" Sasha jumped in the air.

You lowered the hunting bow with a wide smirk on your face. "I told you I can shoot with this thing."

Sasha dropped the quiver on the ground and made her way to the deer. You turned around to look at the opened gate. Armin was standing there with Mike and the couple of others who were guarding the area.

"Come on!" Sasha urged from the distance.

You turned around to follow her, but then someone called your name.

"It's hard to keep you out of danger if you wander off too far, (Name)." Mike walked towards you. "I'll help her. Stay near the gate." he said as he walked past you.

"Ah, right. Got it." you remembered the fact that keeping you alive was now a priority.

You returned to the gate, taking the space next to Armin. You kept looking at the task in the woods, when you heard footsteps approach. You looked over your shoulder, seeing Erwin. He looked at the bow in your arms and raised his eyebrows.

"What's going on here?" he asked, trying to see what everyone was looking at.

"(Name) killed a deer." Arming cleared him the situation.

"Really?" Erwin replied and stepped next to Armin, looking towards Sasha and Mike who were dragging the kill from the woods.

"I almost screwed it up." you said, lifting the bow up in front of you to study it. "I've never used a proper hunting bow like this, this is so much --" you stretched the string again to feel the resistance "Heavier..." you puffed.

"You did a good job. I've tried that a couple of times, but I'm hopeless." Armin said, nodding his head towards the bow in your hands.

"There was a person in the first quarantine zone I lived for a while. He had a bow and he let us practice. Life was pretty boring there in the city, so I practiced a lot." you smirked. "It's been a while since my last shot, though. I'm glad to see I'm not too rusty."

"Oh shit!" Sasha's voice suddenly carried through the air.

A couple of dead people strolled towards them from the woods. Mike let go of the deer and turned around to face the threat, while Sasha was still desperately trying to drag the animal by herself.

"Get back here!" Erwin hurried them, before he turned to tell the men to spread the warning.

You tried to reach your hand into the quiver, but then you realized it was on the ground at the place where Sasha left it. You hopped on a run to get them, but Erwin grabbed your arm half way there.

"Don't even think about it, you're going back inside, now!" Erwin worked to drag you back behind the gate.

"But the arrows are just there, I can make it there and back before them!" you resisted, pointing at the quiver on the ground.

You saw someone running past our spot.

"I'll get them!" Armin yelled.

You watched as Arming rushed himself to the holster, and that's when you focused on the movement in the woods ahead of him. More dead people staggered out behind the trees and bushes. You stopped fighting back, now backing away on your own will. Erwin noticed this and he let go of your arm.

You backed towards the gate, staring with wide eyes at all the dead people that came out of nowhere. So many, too many. "Hurry!" You yelled at Sasha and Mike.

Sasha was still dragging the deer with her, moving really slowly. Mike was looking around, realizing that there was too many of them for him to handle. He turned around and rushed himself to Sasha, trying to pull her off the deer.

"No, NOOOO, the meat, we need it!!" Sasha was going all crazy, not letting go of the leg she was holding on to.

"Idiot, let go! You're gonna get us killed!" Mike hurried.

Armin took the quiver from the ground. He looked at the forest, turning pale for seeing all the dead people. "Shit, shit, shit, shit--" he yelped as he started running back.

You managed to get back to the gate with Erwin, who was staring at the two people getting closer to their deaths in the woods.

"Weapons ready!" Erwin yelled to the men, who had positioned themselves above you.

"Sasha!" you yelled again, really starting to panic.

Armin made it back to you, breathing heavily.

"Give it to me!" you took the quiver from him and quickly struggled the arrow against the string.

The dead people were getting closer. Mike gave up in trying to get Sasha away of the deer and started helping her with he animal instead, knowing it was the fastest way to get out of there. You raised the bow, taking aim at the dead people closing behind them.

"Wait, not yet." Erwin said, making you hold your position. He once again yelled some instructions to the men above.

They were getting closer. Armin backed away in terror. Your muscles were shaking from the tension of keeping the bow ready. One of the dead people was just a few leaps away from Sasha, reaching his arms towards her.

"Come on..." You hissed through your teeth.

Erwin took his own gun from his holster, pointing it to the same direction.

"FIRE!"