Chapter Two: "I'll never forget"

(flashback chapter)

I'll never forget the day I first met Billy.

it was a week or two before Halloween, Billy's first day at school.

I get out of the car with Steve and Nancy, god. don't get me started on them.

I can't stand it, Steve cheats on me with the perfect girl next door, Nancy Wheeler.

It crushes me every time and he doesn't notice.

When he does focus on me I get unconditional attention, given its not very long as his pet sees and drags him away from me. I hate Nancy Wheeler.

I love Steve Harrington and she knows, that's why she pulls him from me. Obviously I'm not blind, I see the love in his eyes when he looks at me. I also see it when he looks at her...

I'm broken out of my thoughts by the sound of a loud engine turning off. I turn around and see a red-haired girl getting out of a Blue Camaro 'nice car' the girl seems to be arguing with the driver before she has enough and slams the passenger door and skates off towards the middle school

the driver steps out of the car for an overly dramatic reveal of the new hot guy, whom of which I have to admit, I only took one glance at before I walk into school with Steve behind me 'i guess he doesn't want to be with his pet right now'

I sigh as we get to my locker and I turn to face Steve.

"Yes, Steve?" I ask

"I uh, wanted to ask if we could hang out soon? You know, just us?"

"I don't know about that. How does your pet feel about this little hangout?"

"She...she doesn't mind, I mean we haven't had the time to hang out without Nance interrupting"

"Sure Steve, anything for you" I sigh.

He smiles and walks away.

Dammit Harrington and my fucking feelings for you.

I open my locker and grab my books needed for my morning classes and close the metal door.

When I close the door, I'm met with the face of the new guy.

"May I help you?"

"Yes actually, could you point me towards the art room? And your number?" He says in his 'cool guy voice'.

I smirk, why not humor him.

"Oh! Sure," I rip a piece of notebook paper from my binder and write my number on it, "here you go, but please don't call me for anything other than for help in class"

I then start to walk him towards the art room.

"So, why give me your number then?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why give me your number if I can't call for... personal needs?" He lights a cigarette.

"You can't smoke in here & because you came in the middle of the semester, I figured you could use a little help in class"

"Anyways here we are, I'll see you around New Guy"

(🔥🔫🖤)

(Two weeks later)

When school ends, I hurry out of the building to meet up with Steve for our 'hangout' as he put it.

As I walk up to his car I see New Guy from the corner of my eye watching me.

I ignore him and jump on Steve's back to surprise him.

"W-whoa okay there spider-monkey. Be careful"

I laugh and get off of him, "You ready?"

"Uh, yeah sure, sure so what do you want to do?"

"Um, Tina's party?"

"That is tonight isn't it?" he slapped his forehead as if he'd forgotten.

"Yea...what are you going as?"

"Well me and Nanc are getting a couples costume, so there's that"

"Oh cool, I guess I'll go as Sandy from Grease" I say, with disappointment laced in my voice.

"that's a good costume, 'Riyah" Steve tries to cheer me up.

"Yea I guess," there's a beat of silence, "Steve maybe we shouldn't hang out tonight" I suggest

He looks at me with shock and hurt written all over his face.

"I hate myself for doing this but, you have a girlfriend and as much as I dislike her, she doesn't deserve this"

he seems to contemplate what I said and I'm hit with pride, thinking that he's finally changed his ways since cheating on me.

"You're right 'Riyah, I shouldn't be flirting with you, especially since I'm with Nancy...I should also apologize for cheating on you. I didn't know how good I had when I had it and I don't want you to go any longer without an apology from me for what I did to you"

I breathe a sigh of relief, " I accept your apology, Steve"