Chapter 32: Enemies

Start from the beginning

A different voice replied with suspicion this time. "Rotation is not scheduled for another quarter hour, patrol two-seven."

There was a pause between the parties. "Well they are running it early this time around" came the unsure reply of the first voice.

Doubt was in the guard's tone as he answered. "We will need to check confirmation with the chief officer of this detention block. What is your identification number and who gave you these ord-"

A heavy bang sounded against the door before a scuffle ensued in the hallway of the detention block. Feet shuffled back and forth as intermittent grunts emitted, and when all finally went quiet, Ben could not ascertain the outcome from his end.

The blaring tone of the cell door went off as it slid open and Ben stepped back quickly to flatten against the wall, watching as the light poured in on the floor until the toe of a stormtrooper boot protruded in the doorway.

Ben leapt out and tackled the stormtrooper, connecting with a loud smack around the torso as they were both sent flying past another trooper standing outside the cell.

"Oof!" the trooper let out as Ben landed heavily on him when they hit the ground, pinning the blaster with his thigh. He swiftly used the force to pull the blaster from the hands of the one standing next to the door. Kneeling over the one on the ground, Ben aimed the blaster at his chin.

"Kylo!" the stormtrooper shouted, raising his empty hands. "Cool it! It's us."

"Hey...your Highness" Poe Dameron's voice came sarcastically from beneath the helmet as he shoved Ben off. "The gas worked. It took two patrols down in the Falcon and we were able to leave unnoticed."

Ben caught himself before pitching backwards. "I wasn't certain if you'd succeed. Congratulations."

"Your Highness?" Finn's helmet swiveled toward Poe. "What kind of a joke is that?"

Poe got to his feet, shaking his stiff shoulder out. "It's a great joke, right?"

"Because he's not the Supreme Leader anymore?"

"No," Poe answered flatly, "because he's the son of Leia."

"WHAT!" Finn exclaimed. "Please tell me you're pulling my leg."

"Keep your voice down. Where's Tyrus?" Ben asked as he stood from the floor.

Finn looked over his shoulder and waved a gloved hand toward them. Tyrus appeared from around the corner, stopping to take one last look from the direction he came before walking quickly toward them.

"Hide the bodies in the cell, before the scheduled rotation patrol shows up" Tyrus whispered loudly as he approached. Finn and Poe grabbed an arm and leg of one body before dragging it inside the doorway, then moved the other.

A look of amusement crossed Tyrus' face as he looked down at Ben's hands. "A blaster? That's a bit beneath you."

"Ozir has my saber."

Tyrus stared off down the hall. A siren was wailing in some distant corridor on board the ship. "Ah. Guess we'll have to talk to him about that."

Ben followed his gaze. "What about the others?"

"Vurdan and Alwick are creating a diversion on this vessel to give us time to strike at Palpatine. Freen said he was going to go looking for something I guess, whatever that means" Finn explained before jogging to the next cell and engaging the door.

"Where's Rey?" he asked, stepping back.

Ben hurried over to see for himself, a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. The cell was indeed empty. His heart dropped as he realized she could be alone with the emperor.