NEAR AND DEAR TO SOMEONE

Start from the beginning

On the nights that pilgrimages arrived at Lourdes railway station, sometimes at 2.00. or 3.00. am in the morning, or departed, we were advised to turn in early. As I lay in my bunk in the crowded dormitory at the l'Abri, I thought of the dormitories at Enfield. There, as a child, I would lie awake for hours, fearful of anything violent that was likely to happen at any moment. Now as I gradually fell into well-earned sleep, I could hear the waters of the River Gave slapping against the columns that supported the building. Above, a great rock towered and the nightly sounds and lights of the musical Son et Lumière pageant performed in the castle on its summit, drifted down and enfolded me in blissful dreaming. I had never felt safer or happier in my life. 

I was surrounded by the most generous and caring people who had given up their spare time to work in Lourdes: students, workers, tradesmen, shared the room and facilities with members of noble European families. The names on the bunks were prefixed Du, Von, Comte, Don and gave clues to their bearers status in society. There at the l'Abri differences and distinction, whether humble or distinguished, were disregarded as all worked together with a common objective: caring for the sick. 

At the appointed hour, so as not to disturb those asleep, and not on night detail, the Chef d'equipe shook his team awake and we soon set off in the ambulances lined up in the forecourt below. Passing the hotels and shuttered emporia for devotional artifacts and souvenirs, we drove to the station, through the silent and deserted town.  

As we awaited the train, three teams were formed. On its arrival the most experienced team entered the carriages and transferred the sick onto stretchers under the supervision of doctors and nurses. Stretchers were passed through the train windows down to the second team, who, with arms at full height, steered the stretcher to the platform. Then the patient was carried by four brancardiers to the ambulance and placed on stretcher racks, four each side. Two further stretchers were placed on the floor.  

As we drove to the hospital we stood on an open platform at the rear of the ambulance. I liked that, as it was a chance to cool down, puff on a Camel or Gitanes cigarette and I was reminded of the Paris buses. At the hospital we carried the patients to the wards, transferred them from the stretchers and placed them in the ready prepared beds. There would be several journeys back and forth. We worked quietly and efficiently, for all around us there was noise and seeming confusion especially if we were dealing with an Italian pilgrimage.  

The French were super- efficient; just like their railway system. There was no shunting of trains into the sidings. The movement of patients had to be completed in time to allow for the arrival or passing through of the next passenger or goods train. All heavy luggage was dealt with by private conveyers but we helped with the portering if necessary.  

While everything progressed the Station Master called out countdown time checks for the train's departure. When all was done we rallied at the l'Abri for breakfast: deep bowls of sweet coffee, croissants and bread rolls. After clearing away and setting up for lunch we were free. Our tasks for the afternoon and evening were detailed on rosters: duties such as crowd guidance and control. 

The brancardiers were allowed a number of special privileges: they could enter the Grotto at any time of day or night; they escorted the monstrance containing the Sacred Host as it was taken in procession for the Blessing of the Sick; they were allowed to attend the discussions, conferences and presentations at the Medical Bureau. There, internationally represented doctors, nurses and scientists and distinguished medical believers and sceptics considered the efficacy of officially documented declared miracles obtained by incurable patients who had made pilgrimages to Lourdes. Attached to the Medical Bureau was a general office where brancardiers signed on: three references were required and one had to be from a Catholic priest.