Truth was he'd spent the night caught up with a string of bodega robberies. A crew from Jersey had come over, split up, and hit nearly a dozen across Queens. Peter and the police had had their work cut out for them, barely stopping one robbery before the next was coming over the radio. He and Ned had been up until six, and then, while Ned had fallen right to sleep and his mom had let him have the day off, Peter had gotten home, raced to get changed, and left for school. May would have let him stay home. Definitely. But she also would have lectured him on responsibility, and the importance of taking care of himself and his grades. Again. As it was he was surprised that Tony hadn't called him to lecture about the all-nighter. He'd kept Peter's suit for almost a month after Peter and Wanda were rescued from the Raft, claiming that Peter needed to recover, and not just physically. Peter had argued, but his heart hadn't been entirely in it. In all honesty he'd been more than a little shaken after everything that went down. It had been nice to have those weeks just hanging in the lab with Tony, running laps with Cap when he was feeling more up to it, and then going back to school without the added stress of midnight activities.

The school had opened almost two weeks after the attack, despite that no one had any idea what had happened. It had been passed of as an accident. A SWAT team sent to the wrong location for a raid. It had been all over the news, the press having a field day with it. Peter had felt a little bad. They had come for him after all, and now he and his classmates could barely make it in the front doors of the school without someone shoving a microphone in their faces. Some were loving it. Others, like Peter, not so much. Every microphone coming at his face sent him spiralling. What if they knew? What if Ross told someone?

So far he'd been fine. Tony had assured him everything was fine.

And then Ross had died.

It had been all over the news – taken some pressure off the school, which had been a plus. Also, the man was dead...which was also kind of a plus on its own. Peter felt kind of bad about it sometimes, but he couldn't deny the almost overwhelming feeling of relief that had come when he first heard. Peter had confessed as much to Tony when the older man had pulled him aside when they first found out – clearly worried how he might take it. Peter had expected Tony to be disappointed, but to his immense surprise the man had almost smiled. I'm glad. Tony had said, and Peter's eyes had widened to the size of saucers. He hurt you – twice – and anyone who hurts you doesn't deserve your kindness. He'd leant forward and rested a single hand along Peter's cheek, perhaps even wiping away a single tear that Peter would never admit too, and continued. Do you feel safer now? Tony had asked. Peter had nodded. Good, Tony had said, giving one firm nod, his dark eyes ablaze. Good.

And it had been good.

The six weeks since Ross's death had been good. Peter went home. Went back to school. Back to building Lego with Ned, and then rebuilding it when Ned's mom's cat, Mama Smooches, knocked it off his shelf right in front of them. Everything was normal. And eventually, after more than a dozen medical check-ups and even more talks with May and Tony about how he was feeling since the Raft, he got his suit back. Being without it had been soothing – like balm on sunburn – but having it back...felt like having himself back. Like finding that little bit that had been missing since Ross took him. Or even before that, since the attack on the Compound months before. He felt alive and free, and sailing off of that first building with Ned in his ear and Tony at his back – refusing to let him out on his own the first few nights – had been one of the best jumps of his life. They had soared through the city. Tabloids had run wild with pictures of the two of them. Tony had been bombarded with questions. Do you know who Spiderman is under the mask? Are you working together? Is Spiderman an Avenger? It had been unnerving – too much media attention always made him nervous – but Tony's answers had definitely made his week.