War torn

I screamed, fuelled by anger.

But it was like something was holding me back. Something unknown.

My scream escaped my lips but didn't reach beyond my ears.

I tried again but there was no volume, as if someone pressed the mute button on their phone, or on their remote.

I looked around confused. No one could hear me. It was like I was irrelevant. Unimportant to the world.

There was violence everywhere. I felt like I was standing in the spotlight on stage in some movie but every one was focused on the characters around her instead.

The spotlight dulled and it was dark again. The attention was on everyone.

I turned around and ducked, just in time for moving ammunition to fly above my head.

I ran to my house but stopped short a few feet. It wasn't there.

Nothing was there.

My neighbour's was gone too.

My "welcome sign" was in front of me torn in pieces instead of being by my doorstep.

A piece was still flaming.

I stepped on it and the flame was gone.

The air around me seemed to be leaving.

The gravity pushing down seemed to be shoving.

My breath was knocked out and I fell forward.

Tears fled from my eyes and I shook my head.

This can't be happening.

I'm a girl in a war torn town and I never thought this would happen to me. You always hear about it happening to other people, and you feel sympathy. You feel sorrow. But what if it happened to you? What would you do? Would you even have time to scream?