Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"No. I'm actually moving closer. Gotta keep an eyes on my girl."

Chevonne's smile felt more natural this time.

Anne glanced back at Ramon. "Why wouldn't he let us in? We have a key. He said no then followed us up here."

"I forgot to put you on the access form. The security here is very tight. One of the reasons you chose it, right? Because it would keep me safe?"

"Of course, but that shouldn't keep your parents out."

"Miss Chevonne, I'm only doing my job."

Chevonne gave him a smile. "I know, Ramon. And you do your job well."

"Thank you," he said.

"It's true. But, please. I have it from here. No need to trouble yourself further," she said

He opened his mouth to say something but Anne cut him off. "She said to go."

He looked to Chevonne once more. "If you need anything, please give me a call." With that he turned and walked away.

"How did you know I was moving?" Jonathan asked.

"Surely we can carry on this conversation inside where it's more comfortable?" Anne looked at Chevonne. "Do you mind telling your friends goodnight? We have a lot to catch up on."

Before she could say anything, Elliot spoke. "Manners are important. Even when it comes to one's own children. We have plans for this night and no, I'm sorry to say, we won't be leaving."

Anne studied him for a moment. "Fine, but please, let's not carry this on in the hallway. It's been a busy few days and I would love to sit down."

"What have you been doing?" Chevonne asked.

"Preparing for your birthday surprise."

"Tell me, mom. Did you go see Jonathan first or me?"

"Jonathan." Anne gave him a smile. "We wanted to enlist his help for the surprise. And there is also a slight matter we need to ask him about. So small it's embarrassing, really. Another reason to get out of the hall."

"What reason, Anne?" Jonathan asked.

The smile she gave this time wasn't as friendly and Chevonne tightened her grip on his hand. So far, she was managing. "Listen to you. Where is the boy that called me Mrs. Trevors?"

"He grew up. What reason?"

"I didn't want to embarrass you in front of these people," she looked over Nikolas and Elliot, "But the fact is, some of our collectibles are missing. Have been missing, truth be told. And we couldn't figure out why anyone would want to steal useless books."

She had to have been breaking Jonathan's hand as she squeezed tighter but he didn't show it.

"We realized they could have come up missing when you took your things from our home." Once more she looked at the others and her smile was one that Chevonne used to find comforting. "I've never seen the like. From the time they met, these two were inseparable. He halfway lived with us. Which is why I'm trying to find out if he accidentally mixed our belongings."

"We were separated once," he said with a smile. "Since the second grade, I've only missed one birthday. And it was such an important one. The eighteenth."

"We told you we had to take her to the hospital, Jonathan. And that was almost ten years ago."

"I don't have your books."

Chevonne looked up at him with a smile. It wasn't a lie. She had them.

"What about you, my baby?"