ɬɧɛ ąƈƈơཞɖʂ

Start from the beginning

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat asked.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He steps to the side a bit and a screen comes up showing a map. "New York." Suddenly footage of the damage done there was showing. Rubble fell as the Hulk jumped off of buildings and people screamed. "Washington, DC." Two helicarriers crashed into each other and into a building as a third crashed into water sending a wave of water that splashed over people running away. "Sokovia." Buildings crumbled as the city rose up in the air. "Lagos." Smoke billowed out of the destroyed windows. People were wheeled out and stumbling away.

Wanda looked away then, Pietro clenched his jaw and curled his fist and Y/n wiped away a tear. "Okay. That's enough." Steve said seeing how the triplets were being effected by it.

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the government's of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." A man hands a bound stack of papers to the Secretary. He sits it on the table and slides it to Pietro who was closest. Pietro skimmed through with his speed and then gave it to Y/n who immediately pushed it to Rhodey across the table. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel seems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Y/n sends the Secretary a small glare at the mention of Thor. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey says.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asks.

"Then you retire."

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have." Rhodey says to Sam. They stand behind Steve who sits in a chair looking at the Accords.

"So let's say we agree to this thing." Sam says to Rhodey while Tony, who lounges on the couch with his hand over his face, rolls his eyes. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it'."

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Vision cuts in. He sits on a large couch next to Wanda, Y/n next to her and Pietro next to Y/n.

"Oh, this will clear it up."

"In the 8 years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... Breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodey says.

"Tony." Nat calls. "You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve says.

"Boy, you know me so well." Tony says as he gets up. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort." He goes to the kitchen and grabs a mug. "Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" He goes to the counter and sets his phone in the fruit basket. He tapped the screen and a hologram picture of a young man comes up. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decides to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." He scoffed and took a sip of his drink. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve said.

"Who said we're giving up?"

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

"I'm sorry, Steve." Rhodey cuts in. "That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not HYDRA."

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here." Tony says walking closer to everyone. "When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down and stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty."

"You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda says.

"Us too." Y/n chimes in. "We are just as 'dangerous' as Wanda."

"We would protect you." Vision says.

"Maybe Tony's right." Nat says. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..."

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a view years ago?" Sam asked.

"I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony asked shocked.

"Oh, I wanna take it back now."

"No, you can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay. Case closed. I win."

Suddenly Steve's phone buzzes. He pulls it out and looks at it. Y/n looks at him with sadness. "I have to go." He said getting up and walking out. Y/n whispered something to her siblings and followed Steve. She found him at the bottom of the stairs. He didn't notice her until she tapped his arm.

"I'm so sorry." She said.

He gave her a confused look. "How did you... Oh right." He nodded and gave a flash of a smile.

"I feel it." She confirmed. "I'm very sorry for your loss, Steve."

"Thank you." She gave him a small smile and left him alone to go back to her siblings.