“I'm getting older. I need to choose a full time apprentice. And it needs to be soon.” Coal leaned forward while he waited for Grigory to continue. “Do you want the position?” 

“I thought I was just helping out until you found a full time apprentice.”

“Well you’ve passed the two year audition and now I’m offering you the job.”

“But humans can’t do magic.” It was the first thing Coal had learned when he’d arrived in the fey realm nine years ago. And it was impossible to make powerful swords without it. Magic made the swords stronger. It made them last longer. And if the sword was sentient, magic prevented someone else from using it.

“I'm half dwarf and half elf. For years, my master refused to teach me because he didn’t think a half-breed could make a great sword. Now I am the best sword maker in Everleaf. It's what's inside that makes a good swordsmith. I believe you could be one of the greats.”

Coal had been coming to the forge almost every day for two years, but he was allowed to come and go as he pleased. With a full apprenticeship, he'd eat, breathe, and sleep smithing. He'd have to move out of his home. 

Coal lifted his gaze and looked the mixed breed in the eye. “I don't know, Grigory. I need time to think about it.” Coal enjoyed forging swords. He especially loved practicing with them, ensuring that they would endure battle, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to make it his life's work.

“Your childhood friend is soon to be queen. There will not be room or tolerance for a love-sick human.”

Coal was hurt but not surprised by Grigory’s words. No one said anything to his face, but he heard the servants and soldiers gossiping about him and Princess Chalcedony when they thought he wasn’t listening. “You're right, but give me time. It's not easy choosing one life over another.”

Grigory’s eye softened. “You and the future queen still have much growing to do. Decide soon, I won’t wait long.”

Coal glanced back towards the rising sun. “It's time for me to go.” Grigory waved his hand as if to swat a fly before turning back to the forge. 

 *****  

Bees and butterflies as big as his hands buzzed around Coal’s ankles while walked through the meadow of red, yellow and blue wildflowers that separated the forge from his home. He felt guilty for not accepting Grigory’s offer, but he wasn’t sure if swordsmithing was for him.  Besides, he couldn’t do magic and swords without magic were worthless.

As he approached his home, the guilt faded and his excitement grew.  Legacy, the biggest tree in the fey realm, housed him Princess Chalcedony, her staff, and a handful of ambassadors from every part of the realm.

The top of the tree went above the clouds. The faint chirping of the birds that nested in Legacy’s canopy become louder the closer he came.. 

“Legacy.” Coal touched the coarse bark of the oak tree and instantly felt the life thrumming inside of it. “Is Chalcedony back?”

There are so many here today. How am I supposed to keep track of any one person?

“Come on, Legacy. Is she in her room?”

The tree gave an exaggerated sigh as the breeze jostled its leaves. When last I bothered to listen, she was in her office. At 850-feet tall and ten times as wide as Grigory’s modest home, Legacy seemed to be larger than life. The tree made him feel like he was a part of something remarkable. The moment he saw it years ago, Coal knew he was home.  

“Thanks,” Coal said, relieved to hear Princess Chalcedony had returned. He removed his hand and approached the two female sentries guarding Legacy's main entrance.