Stealing the World

Elizabeth Marjorie Evens.

All she ever wanted was children. Her whole life she obsessed about children. She had two younger sisters and a newborn brother to worry about once her mother had left their home in hopes of becoming an actress.

From morning till night she would pretend she was their mother, from time to time her brother would often mistake her for his mother.

She left home at seventeen and was married at nineteen her dreams of being a mother nagged in the back of her mind constantly. Countless times she tried numerous tries to become pregnant mothers young and old gave her tidbits and info on how to conceive, she had read and reread every parental magazine their was until she could recite every article from memory.

Then came the heartreching truth. She wasn't fertile. Devastated she pretended it was a sick lie. all hours of the night Elizabeth told herself not to worry. At night she dreamed of the children she soon would have, chasing after them inside her own imagination. At the tender age of twenty-six a strange visitor came to her door. It was a woman of around sixty, maybe seventy.

"I heard you want a child."

A slow nod quickly evolved into a rapid yes. She motioned for the elder woman to proceed inside. "You know a way? How?" Her questions tumbled out like water over rocks until the woman had shushed her.

"Their is only one way for you to conceive," She held a bony hand skinny hands snapping, a small creature appeaerd. Slowly she crushed it, ignoring painful screeches the monster gave out. When she had once again reopen showing nothing but pure red liquid it fell from her hand in droplets, splattering onto the floor before dissapering into a cloud of black smoke.

Elizabeth arched a brow at this but said nothing. "I know what you are thinking child, no, this is not blood. This is a demonica's inner essence. This is what makes them up, what truly sets them apart from us and any other creature on Earth. This is what you need to use." The woman gazed at Elizabeth, brown almost almond eyes drilling straight into purple. "Kill a total of fifty of these, when you have completed that task you must then drink it. All in one gulp."

She grasped ahold of the young women's hands and conjured up another low level Demonica, as it hissed and spoke in another language, it tried desperately to claw it's way out of their conjoined hands.

She could feel just moving around in her hands, the experiance of holding this tiny creature was no surprise, as a child she had casted spells and chanted incantations to ward these foul little things off. The only Wicca born into the family deemed her special.

The older women let go letting her hands drop to their respected places, This was a sign to kill the monster now. Felling no sympathy she crushed it into her palm pressing down quick so not to hear its painful screams. Cupping her hands she dared not spill a single drop. A small jar had flashed onto the table telling her to pour the inner essence into it. Once it was fully in their the very same cloud of black smoke withered its way out of it,  but this time she saw tiny skulls whitin it giving her an ominous feeling her mind counted each skull that appeared, a total of seven. Seven marked the stages from birth to death chills ran down like icy finger from her neck down to her lower body.

"Do this forty-nine more times and on the eve of your birth a child you shall conceive." The door flew open and the older female shuffled out the door leaving Elizabeth alone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Small eyes fluttered open, a tiny smile flashed as Hunter arose from bed. The night before he was too excited to sleep so he crawled into bed with his mother. He sat up and began shaking her awake.

"Mommy, wake up! I'm eight today!" He shook her a few more times. Her body moved but not on her own  accord. He face was concealed underneath the blankets, causing the child to believe she was playing a game. He giggled and slithered with grace of a Gardner snake, calling her name in tiny whispers. "Mommy...mommy...mommy."

Still she did not budge. He pouted once more, believing that he was losing at the game. He hopped off the mattress and skittered towards the doorway, as he held onto its withered frame he called his brother's name. "RiRi,RiRi! Mommy won't wake up! Get her up!"

A boy of around ten and clambered out of the kitchen, his face showing signs of annoyance. "Shh! Have you forgotten? Mom has too work today, please no noises until after she wakes up." A dark scowl appeared on Hunter's face. "No! She promised not to work today!!" He stomped his foot shaking a small table across from him.

Recce rolled his eyes towards the ceiling. "Look, we went over this, she said she'll TRY and get time off, she never said she WILL." The purple headed child's eye flashed from anger to sadness in one fail swoop.

Quickly he turned and darted back into his Mother's bedroom, brother fast on his heels. The small boy crawled underneath the blankets. He shook the woman once more. "Mommy......mommyyyyyyyyyy." He chanted over and over in attempts of waking her. But Recce he just stood their in the middle of the doorway. A feeling of dread overcoming him. His heart raced with such speed it seemed to threaten to burst from his tiny chest. Slowly he walked towards the foot of the bed, the dread increasing, his throat felt as if it was closing his mouth on fire.

"Mom?" The words sounded foreigne to him and it took him a while to realize it was his own voice speaking as if it had a mind of its own. His arms reached out as his feet came up, a minute later he was on the bed crawling closer to her, each inch feeling like a thousand miles. His stomach felt queasy and his head became dizzy, his thoughts buzzing reminding him of a swarm of angry bees.

He lightly brushed his hand across her now uncovered face. She seemed to be sleeping but he noticed her chest was not moving up and down. The buzzing got louder and the sick feeling rose into his throat, it bobbed as if something was lodged in there. Swallowing felt impossible.

His face got close with hers. He felt no air blowing into his face from breathing. He sat up.

Dizziness became faster the bees getting angrier. "She's......gone."

Hunter showed no signs of understanding what his brother was saying. He tilted his head. "She is right here." He pointed to confirm. Reece shook his head, the buzzing causing a slight headache.

"I don't mean.....gone, as....as...in," He took a shaky breath. "She's dead."

The world seemed to stop the moment he uttered the word. Literally.

The wall the bed was against opened. A figure draped fro head to toe in black came out. He pulled back the hood that concealed his face. In his right hand, a blob of inky black undulated and stretched forming itself into a scythe. The blade dipped down showing not the brothers' reflections, but grayish figures.

The male was quiet as he hovered towards the floor. Sunlight poured from opened curtains highlighting his features. Pale almost white blond hair, void less crimson eyes and white papery skin gleamed as he stood next to the woman. Recce had grabbed Hunter the moment he saw this person. He held him tightly.

It was Death. Eyes half-lidded he waved the scythe over the woman until a silvery figure emerged from her lifeless body. After it had disappeared into the scythe he hopped right back into the hole he emerged from.

"Mommy........?"