Scene of the Crime

“Miss Moore, you have the floor

“Miss Moore, you have the floor.” The chief of medicine says.

Jess is a little nervous at hearing that, but this is her moment. She can't mess this up.

“Uh, okay. First off, there's no proof in this case, but there's also a complete lack of Venaesectio brachii, which by definition means there's no bleeding in the arm.”

The chief says, “I know what Venaesectio brachii means. What I don't know is why you're telling me this instead of questioning the witness.”

Yikes. She's already getting roasted, and she's barely started. “Yes, sir.”

She turns her attention to the nurse, April.

“Miss Kelly, when you got back to the hospital, was Dr. Barnes there?”

April calmly explains, “Not that I saw, but like I said, I went straight to the on-call room to get some rest.”

“And when you came back out of the on-call room, what did you see?”

“I saw Pamela standing in a patient's doorway.”

She pauses, then adds, “Convulsing and frothing at the mouth.”

Jess isn't sure what else she should be asking here, so she goes for a safe question, “Uh huh, but Dr. Barnes didn't have a syringe on her?”

April scoffs, “No, she'd dumped it before she collapsed.”

Sam speaks up here, addressing the lawyer, “That's been stricken from the record. It's pure speculation.”

The lawyer nods in agreement, and Sam turns back to Jess, nodding in encouragement.

Jess tries again, “Uh, Miss Kelly, did you see Dr. Barnes stab herself?”

April says, “No, I was in the on-call room.”

Jess muses out loud, “So... somewhere in the time you were resting in the on-call room...Dr. Barnes stabbed herself.”

April responds, “I guess.”

Jess goes on, “Dr. Barnes allegedly stabbed herself while you were resting in the on-call room, but you didn't see this happening because...you were in the on-call room?” Something isn't adding up here, so she can only repeat what she already knows, hoping there's an inconsistency somewhere.

April's starting to get annoyed, “Yes. I was resting my eyes.”

Jess looks to Sam, who's still urging with his eyes to keep trying.

Jess tries a different approach, “Um, Miss Kelly, what did you do earlier that day?”

April lists them off one by one, “I left my station, got a coffee from the cafeteria. Ran some on the treadmill, got Botox, came back.”

And that's when it finally clicks. Jess knows exactly what she needs to say. “Where you went to the on-call room?”

April doesn't have a chance to respond, as the chief tells her, “I think she's been abundantly clear she was in the on-call room.”

Some people start laughing, but Jess has a hunch, and she's gonna follow it.

“Miss Kelly, have you ever had Botox before?”

April clearly thinks it's a waste of time, but she still answers, “Yes.”

Jess asks, “How many times would you say?”

April responds, “Maybe once a year since I turned 21. Do the math.”

Jess starts talking about something else, “You know, someone in my sorority got Botox once. We tried talking her out of it. Her face wasn't as bad as she thought. But luckily, the same day, she took part in Sorority Boot Camp where by the end of it, she was sweating all over, so she temporarily forgot about her Botox, and laid down."

The lawyer says, “Excuse me, but why is this important?”

Jess tells the chief, “I have a point, I swear.”

The chief says, “Then I suggest you make it.”

Jess turns back to April, “Now, April, why is it that my sorority sister's Botox was ruined when she stopped working out?"

April responds, exasperated, “... because she laid down?”

Jess goes on, “Precisely. Because isn't it the cardinal rule of Botox maintenance that you should wait at least four hours before lying down to avoid the risk of pressure on the treated areas and to avoid the risk of having the area rubbed accidentally or causing your Botox to migrate?”

April slowly realizes where this is going, but she just says, “Yes…”

Jess goes on, “And wouldn't someone who's had as much Botox as she has be well aware of this rule?”

Now that she's got people's attention, she goes into her spiel,

“And if in fact, you weren't in the on-call room, as I know you weren't, because your face doesn't show any signs of irritation or migration, wouldn't you have seen her stab herself? And if in fact you had seen her stab herself, Dr. Barnes wouldn't have had time to hide the syringe, which means you would've had to have found Dr. Barnes with the syringe in her hand to make your story plausible, isn't that right?”

April bursts out, “She's younger than me! Did she tell you that? How would you feel if your boss hired someone younger than you?”

Jess goes on, “You however had plenty of time to hide the syringe, didn't you, April, after you stabbed Dr. Barnes?”

“I wasn't supposed to be seen. I took YOUR MEDICINE so nobody would believe you!”

That shocks everyone for two reasons. One, April just confessed she stabbed Pamela, and two, she messed with Pamela's medication to cover for herself.

Jess can only say, “Oh my God.”

Pamela's right there with her, “Oh my God.”

The chief is definitely surprised as well, “Oh my God.”

But he quickly composes himself and orders, “Security, put Miss Kelly in handcuffs and call the cops, so she can be charged with the attempted murder of Dr. Pamela Barnes. In the matter of Dr. Barnes’ license, this conference is finished. Dr Barnes, you're free to continue your practice.”

There's thunderous applause all over the room. Jess going over to Pamela and hugging her, both of them ecstatic for getting Pamela's name cleared. Sam, looking at Jess with even more respect, if that was possible. Just all around, there's a celebration to be had.

As Jess and Pamela walk out, they're stopped by a reporter, who asks, “Jessica, how did you know April was lying?”

Pamela answers for her, “Cause she's brilliant!”

Jess tells the reporter, “The rules of facial injections are irrevocable. Anyone who goes in for Botox would've known!”

There's a bunch more questions, but it does down pretty soon after that, and finally, Jess is alone, but not for long, as who of all people should catch up with her but Brady.

“Jess.”

Well, this definitely ought to be an interesting conversation.