3 | "SIGNS ARE SMALL MEASUREABLE THINGS, BUT INTERPRETATIONS ARE ILIMITABLE."

"MISS MARILLA, DONT you just look like a bright shiney penny this morning." Nate smiled as he washed his hands.

Alice put down the plates as Anne put down the cutlery. "Oh Mr Dunlop, the toast smells especially good this morning." Anne smiled.

"Cinnamon, my dear go, in celebration!"

"Any morning we dont find ourselves in the grave should be celebrated." Marilla said as she sat down.

"Right indeed Miss Marilla."

"I agree with Mr Dunlop." Nate smiled. "Plass the celebratory toast. Now Matthew, I'd like to do the extractions for you. Happy to do you that favour. Let's be sure to get this done right, hmm?" Nate said as he was handed the toast.

"There will be no gold testing." Marilla said. "At least not yet. Matthew and I are undecided."

"But you have to! We could be one of the richest families in Avonlea. Matthew wouldnt have to farm any more and you could do any--" Anne was cut off.

"Its expensive Anne! And we worked very hard for that harvest money." Marilla sighed.

"Matthew, Miss Marilla." Nate said to the two. "I think your caution is absolutely right. The gold is all but guaranteed but there us still some risk."

Matthew kept looking towards a letter that sat on the table and thought of Alice's letters to Gilbert. He was the only one who knew of the exchange between them.

"Now, Alice. I think it's time for you to get some paper for you know." He tapped his nose and smiled as he handed over some coins to the girl.

"Thank you Matthew." Alice smiled at him.

"Ah, children. So expensive." Nate chucked.

-_-_-_-

     ALICE HAD SCHOOL the next day, she left a little earlier than Anne so she could be by herself for a little while.

Once she reached school, she went to place her milk in the stream only to notice one of her friends sat on a rock and drawing, as usual.

"Hey Cole." Alice smiled, walking up to him.

"Hello Alice." He gave her a smile back and was about to say something but a ball cut him off.

It landed at Alice's feet, she turned and saw Billy looking at her.

"Throw the ball back, orphan." He smirked.

Cole tensed his jaw and picked up the ball, throwing it back harshly but Billy still caught it.

"Nice arm, Rembrandt. Wanna play?" Billy asked.

"No, I wouldnt." Cole replied, turning back to Alice who held his sketch book.

"These are amazing, Cole." She smiled, handing the book back as the bell went.

"'...Answer'd Lancelot, the chief of knights. 'And with what face, after my pretext made, shall I appear, O Queen, at Camelot, I before king who honours his word as if the word--'." Mr Phillips drowned on until he was cut off by Josie Pye.