Chapter Eighteen

Start bij het begin

"How many will there be?"

"No more than four," Greef sighs, and stands, "he travels, at most, with a Fire Team. Trust me. Nothing could go wrong."

At that point, she's completely lost her faith in him, and she doesn't get why Din decided to put his trust in him. She understands it's for the child's safety, but Greef's the sleaziest slimeball she's ever met, and she's met Toro.

A horrible screech fills the air as a creature flies past Greef, startling him. Cara is the first to react quickly, and aims her blaster at the creature and fires, and the others are quick to follow her. One of the flying creatures were trying to go after the blurrgs.

"No, let go of her!" Kuiil shouts, and rushes after the blurrgs.

Dessa shoots frantically at the flying creature trying to take off with the blurrgs. She'd been so focused on the creature that she shouts on surprise as Din shoves her aside, and she lands on her back. He cries out in both alarm, and in pain as the flying creature lands on top of him, and tries to drag him away into the air.

"Cara!" She calls to the veteran in her panic. Cara glances over at her in confusion, before following her gaze towards Din. Cara reacts quickly, and they both fire their weapons at the same time, and Din uses his flamethrower when the winged creature gets close to the ground. The creatures screech, and fly off, tails lit with flame.

She and Cara both help him stand back up.

"You alright?" Dessa gives him a quick one armed hug.

"I'm fine, you?" He asks as he hugs her back.

"Fine, the kid?" She asks. They both turn, and relax slightly when they see the child near Kuiil.

"Looks like Greef's down," Cara sighs. "Come on, you two losers."

She and Din exchange a quiet look before following after her where Greef had fallen. Greef's face is scrunched up in pain, and his arm is limp beside him, completely covered in deep gashes.

"How bad?" Din asks.

"Bad," Cara gasps, "the poison's spreading fast."

"So this is how it happens," Greef groans in pain.

"Don't be so dramatic," Cara scoffs. "I need another Medpac!" 

Cara glances around. But no one moves or offers any help. Dessa searches her pouch on her belt for any medical supplies that can help her, but Din beats her to it and hands over some equipment for Cara.

"Get that thing away," Cara demands when the child moves closer to Greef.

"Wait," Kuiil says calmly.

"He's trying to eat me!" Greef panics.

Dessa had half a mind to tell him that he's scared of a little child, but she remembers that he tried to kill Cara with his power so she says nothing.

The child presses his hand against the wound, and to her astonishment, the blood and scratches disappear as if they'd never existed. Her jaw drops slightly as she stares at the kid in awe. Greef is quiet as he flexes his arm that now looks as good as new.