3

Chapter 3 || Boiling Point

Dressed in all black with my Serpent jacket draped over my shoulders, I stood between John and Brady staring at Hot Dog. He'd been whining since he saw me get here an hour ago, and it took both John and Brady to hold me back so I didn't rush in and get the poor dog.

"It's been an hour, and no sign of anyone." Toni stated.

"Alright." I nodded, heading to the back of the truck. I grabbed my bow and quiver as I climbed into the bed of the truck.

"Sweet Pea, you guys, keep a look out." Jughead commanded as I strapped the quiver across my shoulders. I scanned the yard where Hot Dog was, gripping my black bow tightly.

"Bring my dog home, Juggy." I whispered. He nodded, grabbing the bolt cutters and heading into the yard. He cut the chain holding Hot Dog and lights flooded the yard.

"Hiya Jonesy!" None other than Penny Peabody greeted, walking into view with Malachai and his Ghoulies. "Welcome back to the Southside."

Betty moved forward, getting slammed back into the side of the truck by Cheryl.

"Cheryl." Betty snapped.

"Not yet, cousin." Cheryl soothed.

"I thought this mangey mutt might get you to show up." Penny continued. "We need to talk."

"No, we don't, Penny." Jughead refuted. "I'm here for the dog."

"If you didn't want trouble, why have you been sending spies all summer, trying to get in our business? Back off." Penny spat. "Unless you want a replay of Riot Night."

"Yeah, I've been send-" Jughead started.

"Don't lie." Penny tsked with a smirk. "Your sister's in charge, I hear. Where is the little Kitty?"

"I've been sending scouts." Jughead pressed, hoping to get Penny's sights off of me. "She wanted us to find Hot Dog. She loves the dog more than she does most people. Now that I've got him, she'll be pleased, so we're good."

"Not so fast." Penny called as Jughead turned back toward us. "Your jacket... Southside isn't yours anymore. That means you're no longer Southside Serpents."

"Is this bitch for real?" I huffed under my breath.

"Really, Penny?" Jughead asked. "A jacket?"

"We could always just take it off your limp dead body." Penny shrugged. "Oh, I also heard Ponytail's a Serpent now, your Northside queen. Maybe we'll go after her next."

"Fine." Jughead nodded. "You can have the jacket as long as you and the Ghoulies stay out of the Northside."

"Oh, you don't get to make demands." Malachai's voice sent a chill down my spine, and I gripped my bow harder. He took a step toward Jughead, so I nocked an arrow and pulled back the string, sending it flying through the air and burying it in Malachai's shoulder.

"Kitty!" Jughead turned and snapped.

"There's sissy." Penny smirked over at me. "That's it. Just kill 'em all."

"Kitty, ai-"

"I don't take orders from you, Forsythe." I growled, aiming another arrow right between Penny's eyes. "You or your Ghoulies move another inch, I'm letting this arrow fly, Penny, right between those deceptively beautiful eyes of yours."

"Kitty doesn't miss." Jughead pressed.

"Congratulations." Penny hissed. "You just made the Northside fair game."