Chapter 2: The Start of Our Journey

After Nova dropped the children off at their rooms, she went out into the village to find Thalleous. It had been a long time since they had seen each other and she wanted to catch up. She spotted him exiting Osivian's cave, looking disheartened. Confused, but wanting to make light of their reunion, she waited by an oak tree until he crossed her path. "All these years apart, and you STILL pout like a child," she joked.

Thalleous managed a slight grin at her, but it faded quickly. Sensing it had to do with whatever was bothering him, Nova leaped down from her perch and to his side. "What's up with you? You haven't been the same since you returned."

"People can change with time," Thalleous reminded her as he continued to walk down the path. "But if you must know, Osivian insists we wait until this evening to discuss my report from earlier."

"Is it about that Voltaris conspiracy-theory of yours?" Nova sighed. "Thalleous, the Great War ended eons ago. The Voltaris are no longer a problem."

"Just because they're out of sight doesn't mean they're out of mind. They are still out there, Nova, planning something. I need to find out what."

"...When I mentioned the Wall of Time to you, it wasn't losing the trail of the Voltaris that bothered you, was it?"

Thalleous hesitated to answer. That's when Nova knew he must've gone through something terrible. "What happened to you? Did that Hawken fellow I last left you with get into an argument with you or something?"

"Hawken is dead, Nova."

The half-Ardoni was startled by the news. She knew Hawken was never really a fighter, but he'd lasted with Thalleous for so long. "Dead? How?"

"The Voltaris attacked us on Mount Velgrin. He saved me from Tygren, and..." Thalleous faced the ground. "I couldn't protect him."

Nova placed a comforting hand on her old friend's shoulder. "Hawken acted for the greater good. If you're still alive, then his sacrifice wasn't in vain. In any case...I'm glad we both lived to see each other again." 

Thalleous cast a glance at Nova, and couldn't help but cheer up. He gave her a single nod to signal his thanks. He then looked back at Osivian, who was patting the head of one of his children, noticing how both their veins shone a Sendarian blue. Looking back at Nova, he coughed awkwardly, knowing he was treading on dangerous territory. "If...If it's not too much of a bother for me to ask, Nova...what was all the fuss with Osivian earlier?"

Nova felt her horns droop. She didn't like talking about what set her apart from the Sendaris, but she figured she owed it to Thalleous after pushing him to admit what had been bugging him. "Osivian doesn't quite approve of my lifestyle, at least not within the clan," she sighed. "On top of that, my appearance doesn't quite put his mind at ease. A lava-orange eye doesn't exactly signify good in the lores of the Ardoni."

"Ardoni are not to be judged by their clan or color, but rather their actions," Thalleous consoled her. "It seems Osivian does not know you as I do." 

"I don't think that would make a difference. Osivian hates it when I train Senn and especially Ria, up to the point where he's instructed them to avoid me altogether. They don't listen, obviously, but...it never fails to hurt."

Thalleous's brow dropped in sympathy for his old friend. "Nova..."

Nova suddenly became serious. "I should check on those kids now, make sure they're sleeping in their caves," she said. She turned to Thalleous and gave him a cold nod, bidding him farewell. "Ky'Thalleous." 

With no more to say, Nova sped up her pace and left Thalleous standing alone on the road, leaving him to stare sadly after her.

***