Chapter 8 - Catch a Detective By the Toe

Start from the beginning

"There's Andy. He's getting into his car," she said, happy for the distraction from Franklin's strange declaration. The vampire sighed with a look of irritation and slid back behind the wheel.

When Andy's unmarked police car pulled out of its parking space, Franklin turned to her and smiled. "Off we go, my sweet. Tonight, you'll have your revenge. And I will have…you."

As he pulled away from the curb, Tara couldn't help thinking that the price for revenge might be more than she bargained for.

Sam was glad to see the last customer leave. It had been a long night full of revelations and frustration. Things had been tense between him and Tara after their heated encounter in his office. He was still furious that she allowed a vampire to bite her, but Tara refused to speak about it any further. The rest of the night they stayed fairly busy and did their best to stay out of each others' way. Though, Sam couldn't help stealing glances at her whenever possible.

When her shift was over, Sam had followed Tara into his office to make one last attempt to reason with her.

"Tara, I want you to know I meant what I said earlier. It wasn't just some heat of the moment thing. If you'd just meet me after work so we can -"

She took off her apron, giving him a wry look. "Talk? We both know talking was never our thing. Now fucking, that's another story."

"Don't do that," he admonished. "Don't twist what happened between us into something casual. I love you, Tara. I think I always have, but you're not making this easy for me."

She glared at him and crossed her arms. "I ain't trying to make it easy, Sam, for both our sakes. I told you before, I'm unboyfriendable."

He closed the gap between them. "I'm not a boy. I'm a man and I'm tired of playing games. You let that vamp know you're spoken for."

She scoffed. "You're unfuckingbelievable." She walked around him and out of his office, closing the door behind her.

Sam sighed. Going all alpha-male was probably not the best approach, but then again, he was always at a loss when it came to Tara.

Why couldn't she just admit she loved him? He wasn't imagining what he saw in her eyes when they made love. He was sure of it.

"I'm out of here, boss-man," said Lafayette, pulling Sam out his thoughts.

"Wait, Lafayette. I want to ask you something."

Lafayette paused at the door, turning to give Sam a quizzical look over his shoulder. "I hope it ain't about Tara, 'cause I'm through with that hooker."

"Well, you are her cousin and unfortunately, she won't talk to me."

Lafayette shook his head vehemently. "Oh no, I ain't about to get in the middle of ya'll shit."

"I think she might be in trouble."

"When is Tara not in trouble? That girl lives and breathes trouble."

Sam came from around the bar to stand in front of him. "Tonight, she had bite marks on her neck."

A look of shock then anger came over Lafayette's features. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Fuck!" Lafayette exclaimed. He began pacing, his face in an aggravated scowl. "That motherfucker… son of a…fucking vamps…"

Sam watched Lafayette's tirade and could sympathize with his anger, recalling the rage that filled him when he first saw the bandage on Tara's neck and realized what it meant.