𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡; 𝗆𝖺𝗍𝗎𝗋𝗂𝗍𝗒

Depuis le début

I held my breath as I anticipated his reply. "Oh, I think she's almost ready." Wow, that wasn't nearly as hard as I thought.

"Juli!" he called loudly. "Bryce is here waiting for you!"

"Okay, I'll be out in a minute!" I heard her voice from somewhere else in the house.

Mr. Baker looked back at me. "Bryce, may I have a word with you?"

"Yes, sir," I said meekly as he stepped outside and closed the door behind him. So I wasn't out of the clear yet!

"I understand that you tried to kiss my daughter, did you not?"

Oh, oh God! "Uh, yes, sir, I did..."

He nods, but I didn't understand why. "Just ask her next time, okay? You're a good kid, but it's up to Juli to decide whether or not she likes you like that."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Baker. I would never purposefully try to hurt Juli, or upset her, or anything." Crossing my fingers, I hoped he wouldn't be angry.

To my surprise, he smiled. "I can tell."

At that moment, Juli stepped out the door. She was wearing a plain white shirt and a flowing purple skirt. Her pretty brown hair was pulled half-up, and she looked beautiful.

"Ready to go?" she asked. I snapped out of my trance and locked eyes with Juli.

"Yep, my bike is right over there," I replied shakily, motioning in the direction of the sidewalk.

She walked down alongside me and we mounted our bikes together. I think I saw Mr. Baker wink at me, but I'm not certain.

We rode for a silent minute before either of us said a word. But honestly, I was content with the calm. Looking to my left, Juli looked a little sad.

"Is something wrong?" I asked tentatively.

She exhaled a small, withheld breath, as though she had been waiting for me to ask. "Yeah, I guess, but I'm probably just overreacting."

Overreacting? To something sad? I didn't think Juli Baker was capable of that; she'd only cried once in front of me. "No, I'm sure it's a perfectly normal reaction. We can talk about it, but, only if you want to," I replied as comfortingly as I could.

"Actually... I would like to talk about it," she answered quietly.

"I'm listening."

•••

By the time we reached school, I think I finally understood why Juli felt upset, and more importantly why it was so wrong for Garrett and me to have joked about her uncle.

"Is there anything I can do?" I asked, hoping I might be able to lift her spirits, even just a little.

Shaking her head, Juli replied, "No, you don't have to do anything. I'll just be a little lonelier is all. Anyways, we should probably part ways since I'm sure you wouldn't want to be seen here with me."

Why would she ever think that? I'd expect her to be the one avoiding me. "Juli, I'm not gonna leave you. You're not embarrassing me or anything, and if anything you probably need someone with you so you aren't 't lonely."

I think I saw a tear slip down her cheek. Was it sad? Happy? Bravely, I slid my arm around her shoulder. She seemed to be comforted by it, so I held her closely, yet delicately, as we entered the building.

"Ooh, Juli's got a boyfriend!" I heard a girl squeal.

Another voice perked up, "Shelly is not gonna like hearing about this!"

"Dude, shut up," I replied. "Tell Shelly that I don't have feelings for her, and I never will."

"Oooohhh!" a chorus of my peers exclaimed.

I felt bad for Juli. Peering over at her, I realized she had rested her head on my shoulder. She looked so pure that I knew I could never bring myself to hurt her any more than I had.

"Hey Juli, my mom was wondering if you had any leftover eggs. She said she'd buy some from you if you do," I said with a smile as we walked into our next class.

Slipping out of my arm to sit down, Juli seemed a little happier. "Actually, I do! I can bring them over after school if you want me to."

"Okay, I'll let her know."