Chapter 29: Within

Start from the beginning

The woods were almost totally black now, and the sounds of rushing water flitted to her ears, discernibly close to the hiking party. They descended a bleak slope toward the sound of the water, arriving shortly at a waterfall filling a small lake. The width of it alone was breathtaking even in the darkness as the moonlight brightened the water falling from the ridge above, churning the lake constantly.

"We're here" she called out again, setting foot on the sharp rocks surrounding the lake. Ren and the Knights joined her on the bank as they looked up in awe at the waterfall.

"Where is this ship, lass?" Vurdan smirked.

Rey smiled coyly at him before leaping from the rocks right into the falls, soaked instantly as she passed through the water and landed onto wet rock on the other side. It was a cave big enough to hold a ship hidden behind the waterfall.

Vurdan's laughed was muffled through the water. "Well I'll be!" he exclaimed.

One by one, the Knights jumped through the waterfall, shaking the water from their faces once on the other side, walking past her towards the lights that could be seen farther the cave. Ren was the last to appear, his hair plastered to the sides of his face.

They stood there, staring at each other for a fleeting moment; Rey was caught off guard by his ruggedness, reminiscent of what he'd looked like when he'd rescued her from drowning. There was something about the way the water dripped from his eyelashes and rolled over his full lips in the dim light of the cave.

He straightened, noticing how she studied him. Warmth spread to her cheeks as she realized the bond was humming pleasantly. Tearing her eyes from his lips was almost painful.

"This way" she cleared her throat, turning her face quickly from him. Her cheeks still burned as she walked ahead of the Knights down into the cave.

Floor lamps were placed along the wide path, small, but practical. A bright torch lit up where the cave ended, revealing the dusty hull of the Millenium Falcon. Making contact with the hull, a shower of sparks speckled the ground at the feet of a tall and hairy figure.

Rey quickened her steps, trying to approach Chewie ahead of everyone so he wouldn't reach for his blaster. She motioned for them all to stop as she approached the Wookiee.

"Chewie!" she called out.

The Wookiee released the torch handle and lifted the welding visor from his furry face, revealing dark eyes and his black nose. A low noise of greeting came from him.

Upon seeing the Knights and Kylo Ren, Chewie rose to his full height and roared unexpectantly, dropping the torch and the mask to the ground as he stomped around the edge of the Falcon.

"Hey! It's ok!" Rey exclaimed as she moved in his way. "Chewie, they're with me, I brought them here!"

Chewbacca halted as he roared again, looking down at Rey and then to the Knights behind her, who had backed up with their hands on their hilts, save for Ren. Chewie shook one long arm aggressively in Kylo's direction.

"Easy..." she reached out and grasped his thick, hairy paw, stroking the back of it firmly. "He is with me. Just trust me."

Chewbacca's shoulders relaxed slightly as he focused on his paw, nodding his head to Rey.

"Did you get the orders from Poe? Is she ready to fly?" she inquired.

More nodding and snuffling noises were heard as the Wookiee answered her. Rey smiled at his reply.

"Let's get going then...the First Order could be here shortly" Rey said as she turned toward them, gesturing toward the loading ramp.

Tyrus carefully walked past them, followed by Alwick, Vurdan, and finally Freen. She watched as they ascended the ramp, and she had the fleeting realization that this would have been unheard of to Luke or Leia. What would they have thought to see his former students and nephew boarding the Falcon to go and face the leader of the First Order?