[ 19 ] vincent's couch

Start from the beginning

"Come on," Maya speaks urgently, shuffling closer to the two of them, "We have to get her someplace safe."

Fox has taken a moment to calm down and finally gathers the strength to release her firm hold on Bellamy, letting him support her weight until she's reached me and I can wrap my own arm around her waist, slowly patting her back. We follow Maya once again, leaving Bellamy to catch up after he has closed the doors of the chamber.

"Do we stay in the vents?" I ask, curious as to where we could offer the security and comfort Fox needs right now, along with everyone else.

Maya shakes her head without looking back, gaze narrowly focused on the hallways in front of us, "No. I have another place in mind."

My eyebrows twitch in confusion, side-eyeing Bellamy, who appears on the other side of Fox, "What is it?"

"My home," she explains shortly.

"Maya, we can't--" Bellamy begins, but the girl cuts him off, stopping by an elevator.

"Yes, you can. That's the safest place right now," Maya insists, stepping into the elevator once the doors part and pressing a button when the four of us are all in.

"She's right, we can't keep staying in the vents all the time, Bell," I sigh in defeat, leaning the crown of my head against the walls of the elevator. The few hour long naps don't keep away the exhaustion that creeps up on us.

"You hide in the vents?" Fox looks up at me, lips curled in wonder.

"Yep," I shrug, blowing a piece of hair away from my face, "It sucks, trust me."

"Yeah, I can imagine," the girl smiles weakly, leaning her head against my shoulder. I squeeze her shoulder and hold her closer to myself, chuckling lightly.

A ding fills my ears and then the doors slide open, putting an end to the fairly quick ride. We must have gone only a few stories up.

Bellamy steps aside to let me and Fox out first, making sure to stay behind and keep us in front of him, just in case. Thankfully, Maya is quick on her feet and we stop by a door mere moments later.

She brushes her bushy hair behind her ear and takes a deep breath, before clutching the door handle and taking a single step into the apartment, halting her movements soon after, "Dad, you're home."

"Yeah," a tired voice confirms from behind the door, "the drill bit broke again."

Maya pauses for a split second, pushing the door aside and finally letting us in. Fox keeps her head down while entering, and I stay beside Bellamy as he shuts the door with a quiet thud. My eyes settle on Maya's father, who shoots up from the couch, frantic.

"What are they doing here?" He questions, approaching his daughter while fixating his distraught eyes onto us. Bellamy's hand stays on the holster of his gun.

"Look, they're in trouble, we just need someplace safe to stay," Maya shakily explains, tone almost pleading. I shuffle from one foot to another; feeling unwelcomed would be an understatement, but I understand his concerns.

"They need to go, now!" The man mutters lowly, yet still strictly.

"Let me explain," Maya gives a breathy whisper, her voice giving out in desperation.

"How about you explain where he got that uniform and why the girl is wearing your clothes?" Maya's father clearly begins to question our motive, pointedly glaring at us. I guess the people of Mount Weather really do know each other very well, seeing how qucikly he recognized Bellamy and I as outsiders. My jaw sets in determination and I'm prepared to plead my way out of this.