Chapter 18 (Emmie's POV)

I open my eyes and find that I'm back home. Not my actual home where my family is but where I truly consider home. My childhood tree house. I'm confused because this has been torn down for years. I look around and see all of my old toys. I also see a younger me crying. This is weird. I go over.

"What's wrong sweetheart?"

"Daddy hurt me. My side won't stop hurting." I see that she is clutching her side.

"Can I take a look?" She nods and I lift her shirt up. It looks like she has some bruised ribs. "Don't worry hun. The pain will go away soon. He just bruised some of your bones is all. It will go away. Just be careful." She hugs me and says thank you. I kiss her forehead and tell her I'd do it for anyone. We sit and she asks me if I want to play checkers. I tell her I will and she runs for the board. I hear something. A soft voice. I can't make out what it's saying though so I ignore it. She comes back.

"You know that this is just a dream right?" I look up and I nod. "Good. It's never good when someone thinks they're in real life."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, I'm not real. Not really. I come to people in their deep dreams sometimes. I take on different forms. Just to see how they will handle that kind of thing."

"Oh I see. So am I just asleep?"

"No. You're in a coma. It's been a couple days since you've been awake. The doctor's can't seem to wake you up."

"Am I going to die?" I begin to get scared.

"Oh no. When someone is going to die I leave them alone. Let them enjoy their last moments of happiness in dreamland."

"So why won't I wake up?"

"I need to give you a message first and then you will wake up. I already know you are starting to hear the real world."

"Well what's your message? I would love to wake up soon."

"I have to tell you that it isn't over."

"What isn't over?"

"The abuse. It will never end. Not until one of you is dead. He will always find you."

"So what? He has to die or I will?"

"I have heard though that he is getting sick. Sick of life. His end will come soon."

"Do I just wait it out?"

"That is up to you my dear. Now I must go. There are people waiting for you. Listen to their voices, they will pull you out."

"But what if..." She's gone. I guess all I can do is lay back and wait. The voice I hear before is stronger now. I think its Ben. He's calling me. I close my eyes and focus on him. Only him and his beautiful voice will bring me to life.