beginning

.

- YEAR 1878

"Soobin! Come on!" The eight year old girl whispered yelled, hands clutching the boy's right hand as she dragged him along the vast hallway of the palace. The young man, who was two years older than the daughter of the queen, looked down, seeing the princess's bare feet. With a frown, his eyes looked up, seeing the princess' ebony hair bouncing with every footstep.

It wasn't the first time that this happened. In fact, it was the third time. Every 15th of December, Harin, the princess, would always sneak out of her room to watch the floating lanterns. It has been a tradition of theirs to light up the night sky with the resplendent color of gold to commemorate her father's birthday.

"Your highness." Soobin called out, once they were standing on the spot where they could see the lanterns best; the third window by the left side of the hallway, where the royal family's portrait were displayed on the elegant violet painted walls of the palace.

The girl hummed, cheeks leaning on her hands as she tiptoed, trying her best to see the beauty of the night.

"Your shoes."

"Oh." Harin pursed her lips, retreating from her previous position to look at her butler. "I'm cold now."

"I bought it with me." Soobin motioned the younger girl to sit down in one of the chairs in which she complied, eyes, once again, looking through the window to appreciate the lanterns as she hummed a tune from time to time.

"Thank you Soobin." He nodded and bowed before taking his position to stand beside her.

"Isn't it pretty?" She questioned in the softest voice. The golden painted sky was reflecting on her orbs, feet swaying as she lost herself in the beauty of her kingdom.

"It is, your highness."

"Your response is always monotone. Do alloaw yourself to be expressive when we're alone, as I want you to be comfortable in my presence."

"I apologize princess but I'm afraid I cannot do that. We were trained to give respect to the royal family."

"You'd respect me more if you follow what I say, dearest butler." The princess replied with a smile. Soobin didn't respond, instead, nodded his head shyly.

He knew he would get in trouble after this; another scolding from the head of the butlers, as the princess isn't allowed to go out after 9 pm. She should be resting in her room, for she has several classes the next day, but he couldn't resist Harin, especially when he knew how those floating lanterns are what causes her eyes to lit up; especially when he knew it's one of the things that makes her happy.

He would gladly take all the scolding just to see her like this.

"Did Princess Yeji come earlier?"

"She did princess. About an hour after your assigned bedtime."

Harin pouted at the response, she found the princess of the other kingdom beautiful, and her not seeing the princess for tonight left her just a tiny bit upset. After all, the princess only visits their kingdom two, three, if she was lucky, times a year.

"I like her."

"What?"

"Dearest butler, I knew you heard me."

"You like.. her? She's a girl, my lady." The princess chuckled, leaning on the chair as she looked up to meet her butler's gaze.

"So? I like all people, Soobin. There is nothing wrong with that."

"I- of course princess."

Silence engulfed the both of them for the rest of their night together watching the lanterns floating in the sky. It was not awkward, as they spent it appreciating the beauty before them; and perhaps, appreciating each other's presence too, but they don't have to say that out loud.

"Hey Soobin?"

"Yes princess?"

"Accompany me again the next time."

Soobin's lips curled up into a ghost of a smile.

"As you wish, princess."