Chapter XIII.

| Upside-Down Cake II |

Ny'Asia Sumia Moore

"Naeem Mekell..."
"Present."
"Ny'Asia Moore..."
I heard my homeroom teacher call my name for attendance. "I'm right 'chea." I said, before he continued to call the remaining class for attendance. Today was Wednesday and our school allowed us to have a dress down day in honor of today being our last day before Thanksgiving break. I was wearing a basic burgundy and grey hoodie from PINK, a pair of black, distressed jeans and my burgundy Huaraches. The bell rang, signaling for everyone to go to first period, I got up out of my seat in homeroom, grabbing my bookbag and traveled through the crowded hallway to first period. I walked into the classroom, sitting in my seat & ready to get the day over. I hate that my SAT prep class is the first thing to start off my day.

The last thing I remember was Mrs. Devon talking about some 5 page essay she wanted due by the time we got back from break. I dozed off after that, considering that I had slept restlessly the night before. The bell rang, waking me up from my slumber. I groaned, and stretched as I stood up before I dashed down the hall to my 2nd period class. I slid into my seat, and put my head down on the desk immediately. Then, the bell rang, all of the kids were talking and surprisingly, I didn't hear my teacher yelling at them to shut up. I popped head up for a quick second to see what was going on, and come to find out, our teacher wasn't here at all today and as of right now, our substitute was no where to be found. I laid my head back down as my stomach growled. I sighed, taking in a moment to realize that I have three more periods to go until lunch time. Damn, damn, damn.

Before I knew it, eighth period was over & everyone was rushing to their lockers to leave. I was at my locker, putting in my combination when someone waltzed over to me. I looked up from my lock to see Nafeez standing next to me. "What the fuck you want?!" I said angrily as I opened my locker. You see, Nafeez had did me wrong freshman year. We used to talk heavy. He had me thinking that he actually was different from the other niggas in my school, and that we would start dating eventually but then he started getting cocky after he started getting hoes & supposedly "exposed me" for being a hoe. I never have & never will be a hoe. We haven't spoken since I cursed him out on the phone after I found out what he had done. So what did he want now? "You looking good in them jeans, Ny'Asia... reaaaaal good." He said as put emphasis on "real" and licked his lips. "I know, thanks for the compliment." I said, grabbing my things from my locker. "You welcome, look, I'm sorry 'bout what happened but can I take you out?" He said, once again licking his lips. I looked him up and down, wearing a cheap ass Bellargo hoodie & basic ass Walmart jeans. "Hell no, and stop licking them dehydrated ass lips, it ain't cute." I slammed my locker shut, and walked away from him. "Broke ass nigga." I mumbled to myself as I walked away.

It was 2:48pm, and I was waiting for the El to go home when all of a sudden I got a call from Saleemah, telling me to meet her at her house immediately. I told her I would, as I got on the El and began heading home. I got off at 56th & Market and got on the bus. After a twenty minute ride, I got off and walked to Saleemah's house and texted her to open the door and let me in. I dropped my backpack by the door before plopping down on the couch. "What's up, Saleemah?" I asked curiously. She started pacing back and forth, not answering my question. "Saleemah...what's wrong?" I said, sitting up with a little concern. Still, I got no response.

Saleemah Jenai Green

It was quiet. I couldn't get my words together. I didn't know how I could tell Ny'Asia this, it would break her heart. I heard her calling my name repeatedly but, when I went to answer nothing came out. I loved Ny' like a sister, and if I told her what I needed to she would die because I know she loves Stephen ...well, Snoop. I felt a lump in my throat as I was about to start speaking. My mouth was dry, and I didn't want to hurt Ny's feelings. "Um.. you want something to drink?" I asked Ny'Asia. She gave me a confused look before nodding. I walked in the kitchen, grabbing two bottles of water out of the refrigerator. I handed her a bottle as I opened mines up before taking a sip. "Look, Ny'... I love you like a little sister, but I gotta tell you--" I was cut off by my phone ringing. "Give me a second, okay?" I said picking up my phone. Ty's deep voice came through the phone as he asked me a question. "No Ty, I ain't tell her yet... Why do I have to do it? Why can't Niya do it?" I sighed and shook my head. "Okay! Okay! Stop yelling at me!" I said raising my voice a little. "Aight... Bye." I said before hanging up. I can't tell Ny'Asia, fuck what Ty says, I thought to myself, Shit like this gon' get somebody hurt.

Amari Jaheer Walker

I sat in the barbershop, waiting for my barber to start my fade when my phone buzzed. I looked down & seen a long ass paragraph that Ny' sent me from two o'clock. I began reading it, but then realized I didn't give a shit about her feelings and deleted the message. I knew her for over six years, now, don't get me wrong, she's grown up to be extremely intelligent and she has some really thick thighs but, all I want is to just to turn her out because she's a good girl. I sat in the chair as my barber started on my fade. I scrolled down Instagram looking at my timeline, yet Ny' was all on my mind. Shit, she shouldn't be concerned about us anyway since she got that nigga.. but I know something that she doesn't about him. I chuckled silently as I thought to myself, She's just a piece of ass. That's all, 'Mari.